horrible oil leak on subaru

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bloke, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Bloke

Bloke Banned

ok i have a new seal ready to go in (obviously not pictured) but i need to know the monting depth. damn do i ever wish i had the factory tool for this. i had it set deeper but it moved on me... it wasnt crooked like that. (theres also a speedy sleeve that made no diffrence.) i had it in about 4mm more when i installed it (last year). leaks HORRIBLE quart an hour

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. laydback

laydback Active Member

might have something to do with the bend in the shaft as opposed to the seal itself

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's no bend in the shaft. The old seal is crooked, that's what you're seeing.

Dude, just take it to the shop. If it can't be done right without professional tools and skills, just pay someone to do it for you. That way you can get a warranty on the labor, and peace of mind that it's not going to get fucked up again anytime soon.

4. somebody5788

somebody5788 New Member

Professional tools? lol most tech's will just use a large diameter socket to hammer it in.

5. deusexaethera

That depends on whether you get it done at a Subaru repair shop, or Exxon.

Anyway, the tech can use whatever damn tool he wants as long as he does it right and doesn't break anything. That's why I said "professional tools and skills."

6. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

What a maroon.

7. deusexaethera

The implication is that a certified Subaru repair shop will have better-trained technicians than the Exxon, dumbass.

Let's see what you've fixed yourself.

8. dguy

I build my own engines. And was in the passed building sub-race engines and operating the in house dyno for a local RX7 shop. Does that answer your question?

I was calling you a maroon because certification really doesn't mean dick, nor does the fact that someone created/modified/used a tool meant for another job with intelligence and discretion. Shopping for a mechanic by looking at their placards on the wall is going to get you duped, no doubt about it. If however you look at their shop space and passed work to make your decision then good for you.

9. deusexaethera

If you factor in intelligence and discretion as well as skill and experience, that's fine. I make my own tools too, but when it comes to things that have to get done right the first time (like rubber seals), if I can't afford to pay for my own "self-training", I'll let someone who knows their shit already do it.

And for crying out loud, it's "the past", not "the passed". Speakeh Engrish dammit.

10. dguy

Awww boo hoo. Grasping at straws much?