Horrible knocking vJeep Crew

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by PharCyde, Sep 13, 2007.

1. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

So a few months back my transmission in my '94 Grand Cherokee was slipping, so I took it in to get fixed. Wasn't the transmission just a bunch of little stuff (honestly I can't remember what and I lost the sheet, some sensors and whatnot). So my Jeep ran smooth again but a few miles into the drive I hear this loud knocking noise from the rear, around the muffler area.

So I take it back and they say they have no clue what is causing it. They remounted my whole exhaust and it is still doing it. Somedays you barely hear it and other times it is LOUD. Tends to be loudest when I'm stopped at a light or sign (car shakes a little at idle sometimes).

Anyone have this problem before? I can't take it to another mechanic because I work during the day and go to school at night so I can't give it up to get looked at. Hoping for a quick fix or something I could do myself just to muffle the noise but can't seem to find where its coming from.

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

3. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

U joints shouldn't cause noise when stopped....
    If your propeller shaft [driveshaft] is moving while you are stopped you have a rather large problem....

It's REALLY hard to diag a noise over the internet.
    Does the noise happen more over bumps?
    Does engine speed [RPMs] or vehicle speed make any difference [other than when the engine idles low you said it is louder]?

4. sniper0423

sniper0423 Member

what TC do you have...242, 249, 231 swapped? did you ever have a vibration at a certain RPM? if so, you may have warn out a bushing in the sway bars or even caused enough stress to cause connections to loosen. get under there with a wrench set and start checking all available connections. if you would like more advice, i suggest posting on a jeep specific forum, such as Jeepforum or NAGCA.

mods: if i broke rules referring to other forums, please edit as necessary.

5. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

stop posting. engine rpms have ntohing to do with swap bars.

more info ... metal on metal sound? soft like a loose bushing?

give us some damn info.

6. goodtimebuddy12

goodtimebuddy12 bomb hills not countries

that happened to me, it turned out to be my catalytic converter dying a noisy death