Horrible Internet

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, May 11, 2007.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

alright, I'd like to solve this without having to have Time Warner come out to my house, check everything out, yada yada, it's just a nuisance and I like doing shit myself.... now onto my question.

my internet (Time Warner) has been sucking balls as of late. I have a Linksys wireless router and a Motorola Modem (from RoadRunner). for the past 2-3 days, my internet will either crawl at 10kbps. Sometimes it is just "slow" and it's bearable; sometimes it barely works at all. Yesterday, all day it worked great until I went tos leep around 1pm, got up at 9pm and it was crawling again. Today it's crawling. and sometimes it will be slow and slowly get faster during the day. I had this problem several months ago. I was playing Counter-strike and it would randomly just "spike"; get really low and then spike high and then stablize. Come to find out, my modem was going to shit, so they gave me the one I have now. Is there any way to check my modem myself if it's good or going bad? all the necessary lights are on/solid for connectivity, and the pc/activity light still blinks crazily like normal. I know it's not the Router, because I disconnected it and ran the cord straight from the modem into the computer and still ran into this problem. When I called RR, I was on the phone for an hour and they said everything was running fine and weren't seeing any problems :hsd:.

HELP! is there anything I can do short of actually having them come out here? which is an absolute last resort. Thanks for your time in advance and sorry there is so much to read :hs:

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i thought time warner was cable

if it's cable, make sure you have the modem before the first split

4. Doc Brown

Yeah, Time/Warner is cable, sort of. They bought out Adelphia, I know.

But the only time I've seen Roadrunner was with DSL.

5. Doc Brown

I almost forgot, you're in North Royalton. You guys had Roadrunner available over there before we did in Cleveland. We're the red headed step child over here.

I hear we're supposed to have running water out this way before the end of the year. :mamoru:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Motorola makes cable modems. Time Warner is cable.

Congrats, you're on a shared network and have to share that limitied bandwidth (like 45Mbps) between 400+ users. You're not getting what you paid for, and are silly to use cable.

/thread.

7. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

I didn't ask for a smartass comment or to know how superior your internet is. I don't care how many users I share RR's bandwith with, for the past 5-6 years of having it, I got near 600kbps downloads (granted it's downloading from a good server), but lately, i'm getting as low as 12kbps at ALL times during the day and night; meaning it's not from sharing with other users. thanks though, I appreciate the thought that I would care. :wavey:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

but it may very well be from sharing. The cable companies will sell sell sell their bandwidth till its oversold, then they'll sell it some more. To compound the issue, they advertise higher and higher speeds without really upgrading the network.

9. Doc Brown

I don't even get that, either. Dsl is so much faster for the buck around here.
    I don't know why people go with the cable.

I'm getting 1.5mb for $20 from AT&T.

I actually checked with the cable company, and they were charging $30 for 786k.

I guess they're not going to lower their rates until people start bailing on them.

10. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Connect your modem directly to the first line of service that comes into the house (no splitters). Pull the power out and plug it back in. Wait one minute. Check a site to make sure you're online. Press start -> Run -> cmd, then type "ping google.com -n 100". If you get 100% loss in the statistics, turn off your firewall and do it again. If the statistics come back with more than 0% loss, you're experiencing packet loss, which can cause slow issues and "page can't be displayed" errors which sometimes are resolved by hitting refresh.

If you call tech support to have them send a technician and they still say they see no packet loss to your modem, it's possibly your network card. it's very very rare, but a malfunctioning NIC could cause packet loss as well. The tech wouldn't see the packet loss when pinging your modem, but he would see it while pinging your PC (if your firewall is off).

If the tech still sees no problem there, have him look at a snapshot of how much bandwidth your modem is consuming. If there are no other programs using your bandwidth, have him run a speed test. Usually they'll walk you through a DOS FTP session to a local server for accuracy. If the speeds are bad there, they have a quality issue in your area. If the speeds are good there, then you have a software issue on your PC.

11. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my city used to be cablevision, then adelphia, and just in the past year became time warner.
    yeah, i used to have adelphia cable internet. what a bunch of shit that was. i was calling tech support about 5 times a month, each time they would either tell me there was an outage in my area or they would schedule an appointment for a tech to look at it. an hour later it would magically fix itself.

then after 6 months the bill magically changed to double price, coming out to over $45 a month for a 1.5mb connection.

i switched to sbc's dsl with the same speed connection for $20 a month (locked in, non-promo price) and had no problems

well, looks like mayor frank jackson wants to put up free wifi for cleveland, who knows when that will happen, if at all.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it happened in Portland, OR. It's cool.