GUN Hornady Match .223 75 Grain BTH: Where to Buy???

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hathegkla, May 27, 2008.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

so I got an AR I'm gonna pick up on friday (Stag Arms Model 6L super varminter). I've decided on what ammo I want to use: Hornady Match .223 Remington 75 Grain Boat Tail Hollow Point (this is for distance shooting). Midway USA sells boxes of 20 for $16.99 but does anybody know where I might get a better price on these? maybe even in bulk? I'd be willing to buy bulk just so I won't have to mess with my scope every time I get something different.

should I just go with Midway? I need to order today because I'm gonna go crazy if I don't get to shoot my new rifle soon :run:

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Midway also sells some 75gr hornady bthp loaded by black hills new or reloads for a little less. Its about time you start loading you own though I think. The bullet itself will be about 15 cents, the primer about 3 cents, you'll get to reuse your cases several times, and lets say 8 cents of powder and you're at $.26 a round. If you buy some used brass and get say 6 loads out of its like an extra 1-2 cents a shot. So you're at under 30 cents a shot for your own versus probably twice that for loaded stuff. Plus you can tune your load to your rifle.

3. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I plan on reloading eventually but this is my first centerfire gun (I own 2 centerfires and a 12g) so I'm not going to jump into things just yet. I just found a place that sells boxes for 15.19 a box if you buy 10 so I'll probably do that. its the best deal I could find.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=75719

4. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

lol, I should have checked. midway sells boxes of 50 Black Hills 75grain match (new) for $38. thats a great deal, I'm gonna go with that. once I find a good spot where I can actually shoot over 200 yards I'll start hand loading. I really wanna see what I can do with this rifle, I'd love to be able to punch holes in shit at 500 yards :eek5:

we have scales at work that can weigh your fingerprint, if someone opens the door while you are using it it'll fuck it up. I bet I could get some really accurate loads with that thing :eek3:

5. If you're looking to shoot out to 500 yards, you probably have the wrong caliber rifle. Everything has its purpose, and a .223 really isn't a proper long range caliber. You'll have the best accuracy inside of 300 yards.

6. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I know. and 99% of the time I'll be shooting at 200 yards, I was just saying it would be fun to see how far I could go with .223. I plan on getting a .308 eventually for really long distance stuff but this one is more for fun, low recoil etc.

7. In that case... carry on. :)

Actually, over 500 yards the .308 is suprisingly similar to the .223 in terms of drop and only slightly more resistant to the effects of a crosswind.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

We out to 500 with 223 in 3 gun matches. As long as you got the ammo and the dope it's not too much of an issue. Now 600 yards is a different story. The high power guys are doing it with 223 but that's a whole different game and set up. Then are shooting that 80 grain stuff that you have to hand load one at a time into the gun.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

For long range 223 ammo at a reasonable price looke at the 69 grain SMK. You can get them from black hills as loaded ammo. I really like these out to the upper 300's. For 400 and beyond I'm liking the 77 grain smk's

10. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

nice, thanks for the advice. I just ordered 400 rounds of Black Hills 75 grain but since I'm new to .223 I'll likely want to try out a bunch of stuff.

11. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

so then whats the pimp shit these days for ultra long range? I mean besides a 50cal. we were having pretty good luck with a friends 30-06 shooting a bowling pin at long ranges out in the desert a few years back.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

depends.. When I think long range I think 1000 yards. For that you got some choices but something in the 6mm range. In the AR platform the 260 remington, 6xc, or 243. For bolt guns 300 win mag. Now you can get a 22 way out there in a 22-250.

There are a lot of guys who talk big about wanting to shoot out to 1000. Not only is the equipment and ammo expensive, but you burn through barrels much quicker. The usually recomendation is to just get a 308 and shoot the piss out of it out to 600 yards. Really learn how to read wind, targets, and elevation. Then once your not a complete flaming noob then you can think about 1000. Granted anyone with a nice rifle, accurate ammo, that is dead nuts sighted in, on a perfectly calm day can shoot off a rest, but is that real shooting?

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

14. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

15. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member