MIL Hoping to join the army.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Harkell, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Harkell

Harkell New Member

I asked this before at one point but I lost the topic because my connection broke down (and I don't have search because I'm a non-payer). Back to the matter at hand. Some of these questions are generic. Others are specific to the Australian forces.

I want a combat job, preferably Infantry. Do they prefer certain phyisical qualities because I'm 5"5 and weigh about 55 kg (132 pounds) but I am one of the fittest and fastest guys in my grade. I get pretty good grades so would that make them want to have me in some crap office job in front of a computer? I don't do PhysEd (just too complicated and none of my friends are in it) would that give them a bad idea? Do they have a shortage or is there any demand for Riflemen in the Australian Army?

Questions like that. The military lifestyle sounds like it really suits me.

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

As far as the American Military System is concered, you usually get the job you pick, unless they really need more manpower in the Admin field. But I doubt they will do this to you. As far as the height and weight issue is concered, again, not sure. I think as long as you're able to carry another 'injured' soilder away from the battlefield, you're good to go.

Before you join the service, have you at least tried taking one college class ?? If you haven't, please do. See what college life is like before you sign your life away for however many years they make you sign for.

Most of what I said, doesn't mean much because I obviously don't have experience or professional knowledge of joining The ADF. But by the end of this day, you should get some more productive replies.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Joining+The+Australian+Military&btnG=Google+Search

3. Harkell

Harkell New Member

In Australia comparatively few people go to college (or as we call it University). The norm is getting an apprenticeship and sticking with your chosen trade. But if what you've told me is the case I can probably easily get a job in the Australian forces. Everywhere I look there is news of shortcomings of conscription targets and plans to expand the Defence Force by 3000 personel. If anyone else has any information than go ahead...

4. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Are the Aussies serving in Iraq/Afghanistan ??

My guess is anyone involved in either(both) wars is having problems with manpower. I know the USA is in a situation where we might initiate a draft, although highly unlikely.

5. Harkell

Harkell New Member

Iraq, Afganistan, Timor and probably before too long Fiji.

6. Harkell

Harkell New Member

On another note. What security clearance do soldiers get?

7. Ryan Christian

Ryan Christian Member

I'm deployed and I have to deal with Coalition forces. So far I've been in contact with the following countries:

El Salvador
    Czech Republic
    Slovakia
    Poland
    Latvia
    Bosnia
    Australia
    Italians
    Estonia
    Macedonia
    Fiji (they were apart of the UN)
    Talked with some British
    Georgia
    Mongolia
    Bulgaria
    South Korea

That's all I have came in contact with.

8. JoJoFine

JoJoFine OT Supporter

there isnt going to be a fucking draft

stop saying and thinking that

9. HatShapedHat

HatShapedHat Active Member

I'd talk to AS MANY people who are enlisted in the army as possible before making your decision...NEVER go by what the recruiter tells you....recruiters (especially army right now) will tell you anything to get their numbers up so they can meet their quotas and keep their rank

10. Ryan Christian

Ryan Christian Member

Agreed. Always talk to people who are enlisted before making your decision. Recruiters will lie their ass of to get you to sign.

11. lemmy

lemmy New Member

i did 6 years in the aust. army. joined as a mechanic and did my trade though them, and i can tell you i shouldn't have bothered. recruiters do lie their asses off, i know a lot of unhappy people in the army who were put into jobs they didn't want to do just so recruiting made their quota.

12. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Why don't you just mind you own fucking buisness.

13. Harkell

Harkell New Member

I have talked to a fair few army buffs. Some of them didn't like it. Others did. The kind of lifestyle they described sounds appealing to me though. I certainly want to join.

But can you people stop using my thread to argue and answer some questions.

Do I have to be a particular size to be a combat soldier? Would they frown on me if I didn't take P.E? Do they value upper body strength more than overall fitness?

Just those sort of things.

14. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

you dont have to be any particular size, preferably shorter since well... your a bigger target if you aren't but thats just a fact of life.

depends on what kind of unit you get what, if they want ox like brutes to hump shit then thats what they want, if they want gazelles who can run for miles then well those guys who can bench 250+ in the gym will be sucking. point being try to be as well rounded as you can and stay motivated, never give up on yourself, if you prove your worth as someone that can be considered reliable when the going gets tough you will be valued alot more then those who simply crumble at the first sign of stress and hardship.

15. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I went to Benning for basic, and during my cycle i saw a few REALLY short scrawny guys...they did fine when it came to PT, but ruck marching with a load 1/4 of their weight looked like it was tough. pack a backpack as heavy as you can and walk 15 miles or so to get some practice.

right now, i do 35lb ruck marches on a regular basis, and i remember the load in basic being much worse...

16. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

not true. there are recruiters out there who suck, but contrary to popular belief, they are not all like that.

if ANY person walks into a recruiter wanting to be told what to do...that is what will happen. if you walk into a recruiter and show that you arent a retard, things go better.

i had an awesome recruiter in 2004. he told me what was going to suck and what was good. he lead me away from jobs that sucked instead of sugar coating shitty MOSs...

17. Harkell

Harkell New Member

Great to hear. If there are any Infanrtymen in here. Is it a decent MOS?