Hopefully simple question for you guys, re: HD formatting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fire, Mar 23, 2010.

1. fire

fire New Member

I have a desktop in the basement that is basically now used for music, pics and some of my other little files and has a printer attached to it. It's running XP. I have my laptop which is my "main" computer now which has Windows 7. I had them linked so I could access the basement and use the printer via the router.

My basement HD took a crap the other day. I replaced the HD and popped in the recovery CD, forgetting that it probably needs formatted. I get the "non system disk" error on start up.

Is there any way to format a new install HD without pulling it and putting it in an existing CPU? The only other cpu I have access to is a computer at work using Vista. They'd be pissed if I screwed that one up somehow.

Thanks

2. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

You need to update the BIOS to tell your computer to boot from the CD. The installation media can handle the hard drive format for you. Since you are getting a "non system disk" error, it appears the computer is attempting to boot off the hard drive. Change the boot order and you should be good to go.

3. fire

fire New Member

Sorry, left that out. I did that already with no luck.

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

older Dell?

Make/model of basement computer? Size/type of new HDD?

5. fire

fire New Member

Plain old Gateway GT 4010 with a new WD Caviar 320gb PATA.

I tried to make a boot disc off the Microsoft site and now I'm getting a "CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTDLR" error.

6. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Is that CD drive working? Is there a boot menu? On gateway computers I think the boot menu key is F10. You need to boot from the CD drive.

7. fire

fire New Member

Yeah, so the HD was DOA. Got a new one and was up and running within an hour.

Thanks for the suggestions.