GUN Hooray california!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Joe_Cool, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Yesterday, the California legislature passed SB585, which will ban the sale of firearms or ammunition in "the cow palace in san mateo county and the city and county of san francisco or any successor or additional property owned, leased, or otherwise occupied or operated by the district."

In other words, it government property in that area will be off-limits to gun shows. One more baby step.

Hopefully that piece of crap schwarzenegger won't sign it. But of course he will.

Lawmakers pass gun show ban at Cow Palace - ContraCostaTimes.com

The bill:
    http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0551-0600/sb_585_bill_20090227_introduced.html

Analysis:
    http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0551-0600/sb_585_cfa_20090413_105500_sen_comm.html

2. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Gun owners who pay taxes in that state should be ashamed of themselves.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Nice work CA

4. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Only 2 more years till I can leave...

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That's about 3 years too long.

6. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

And actually, this isn't even the worst legislation that CA is up against right now. The Ammo bill (although crippled) could still be a huge fuckin problem. It would ban mail/internet ordered ammo from being sent to CA....

Although, I could make a fuckton of money having my buddy in Reno order it and make monthly runs east...

7. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

You're telling me. I grew up in a red state and moved here for college. Boy, was that a mistake.

8. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Until the gun show loophole is eliminated, it's for the best. You really have to think about the safety of the surrounding area.

9. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

:rofl:

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I'm happy I escaped.

Oh, sup KNYTE :wavey:

11. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

There are thirty-nine schools located within fifty miles of the Cow Palace. I think we can all agree the safety of the children is paramount.

12. mstad

mstad New Member

Sarcasm detection team is unsure of findings.

13. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I am deathly afraid of spiders. We should ban them.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The sad part is a couple posters here are fucksticks that actually believe along these lines :(

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

it needs to be calibrated for more sensitivity. that one was blatantly obvious

16. mstad

mstad New Member

I'm still at work, and I deal with some real winners here, so I'm used to hearing some pretty far out shit from people that are dead serious.

I hate my life.

17. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

yes :noes:

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

fuck theres probably 39 schools in SF alone and thats inside a 10 mile radius.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

this is an article back when they were first proposing to start a ban of gun shows there:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/10/BA8LRG1U3.DTL

S.F. mayor, police chief, others call for gun-show ban at Cow Palace

Heather Knight, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, August 10, 2007

San Francisco political leaders Thursday called for the end of gun shows at the Cow Palace, saying the shows on state-owned property are effectively turning California into "a merchant of tools of death."

Standing in the parking lot of the indoor arena, District Attorney Kamala Harris, Mayor Gavin Newsom, Police Chief Heather Fong and Assemblyman Mark Leno said the shows - including Crossroads of the West Gun Show, which comes to the palace Saturday and Sunday - are directly contributing to the proliferation of illegal guns and spiking homicide rates in San Francisco.

They admitted to having no direct proof, but said they have heard countless stories from neighbors about guns - including AK47s and sawed-off shotguns - being illegally sold in the adjacent public housing developments and in the arena's parking lot during the gun shows.

The group is backing Leno's legislation to ban the sale of guns and ammunition at the arena.

"This place behind us, the Cow Palace, is state property that is allowing the state of California to be a merchant of tools of death," Harris said. "There is an absolute and direct connection with gun shows at Cow Palace."

Bob Templeton, president of the Utah-based Crossroads of the West Gun Show, disputed that claim, saying he has asked officials with the Daly City Police Department, Cow Palace management and the California Department of Justice whether they know of any illegal gun sales that have ever taken place at the shows. They all said no, according to Templeton.

Templeton added that the show has come to the arena for 23 years, and there have never been any arrests or charges filed against anybody for selling illegal guns there. He added that two uniformed Daly City police officers are always stationed at the show and that the show is monitored by the Gun Show Task Force, part of the state Justice Department that was created seven years ago by state legislation.

"It's distressing when politicians, for their own ends, make charges like these. These are simply allegations made by people who don't like guns," he said.

"We are selling guns to people who are hunters, outdoorsmen, law enforcement people and honest, law-abiding citizens," he said, noting that all purchasers go through mandatory background checks and are subject to 10-day waiting periods.

The CEO of the Cow Palace and the president of the arena's board of directors did not return calls for comment.

The arena was opened in 1941 and is an agency of the California Food and Agricultural Department's Division of Fairs and Expositions. Originally built to serve as a livestock pavilion, it now holds 100 events annually, including four to six gun shows as well as more innocuous activities including rodeos, dog shows, circuses and Disney on Ice.

San Francisco earlier this month adopted legislation banning gun shows on city and county property. Other counties, including Alameda, Marin and Los Angeles, have passed similar bans. But because the Cow Palace sits on state-owned land between San Francisco and San Mateo County, local governing bodies don't have authority over its gun shows.

Leno's legislation mirrors the effort former state Sen. Jackie Speier made to ban gun shows at the arena in 2004. Back then, passage of the legislation was urged by the San Francisco and San Mateo boards of supervisors. It was narrowly approved in the Senate, but narrowly defeated in the Assembly.

Speier's legislation was prompted by Brothers Against Guns, a Bayview-Hunters Point group, and Central American Resource Center in the Mission. Both groups conducted surveys of youth asking them the best way to end gun violence. The idea of shutting down gun shows was mentioned again and again, Leno said.

Shawn Richards, director of Brothers Against Guns, said people during the gun shows drive through the public housing developments near the arena, including Sunnydale, and illegally hawk weapons to residents. They also illegally sell weapons in the parking lot of the arena itself, he said.

Ingleside and Bayview-Hunters Point, which is near the Cow Palace, have been the sites of 142 homicides since Jan. 1, 2004 - 43 percent of the city total, Harris said.

Leno said that even if there's no direct proof tying a particular gun used in a homicide in San Francisco back to its sale at a Cow Palace gun show, a ban still makes sense.

He said the shows glamorize guns with "neon signs shouting guns, guns, guns" and aren't wanted by the neighbors who live around the arena. He added that if gun shows took place at venues in wealthier neighborhoods - say, at Kezar Pavilion or the Palace of Fine Arts - they would have been shut down long ago.

Leno said he expects the legislation to be heard in January and wind up on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's desk in March or April.

Newsom said he met three weeks ago with the governor, who agreed to plant undercover California Highway Patrol officers and other law enforcement officers at the show this weekend to arrest anybody illegally selling guns.

"I want to send a big message," Newsom said. "We're going to be out in force."

E-mail Heather Knight at [email protected].

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/10/BA8LRG1U3.DTL

This article appeared on page B - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

20. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Gun shows kill people guys. This is a good piece of legislation. Can't have people buying stuff legally at gun shows. They should be buying them illegally in back alleys and what not.
    But seriously, I hate this fucking place.

21. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

We need to focus on getting these bassackward liberals out of the state and send them to Nevada

22. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Wrong direction bro.

Send them west to the ocean. Swim bitch!

23. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

AB962 is being heard right now...

24. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

This is probably the worst one. It will affect ALL of California. It will eliminate all internet sales from California.

My boss has started thinking about carrying ammo for sale.

We sell airsoft guns :rofl:

25. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

I was thinking south, but I like your idea better.