Hooking up subs...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CBlakeNS, Sep 24, 2008.

1. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

How would I go about hooking two car subs in a box up to a Sony receiver in my room??? The subs have an amp of course and I have all the cords, I just dont know what to do.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Run the power and ground out the window to your car battery. JK In order for this to work you would need an AC->DC converter to power your amp. This converter would have to be pretty beefy to supply any decent amp with enough power. If you really want to use the subs then look into getting a home audio amp to power them.

Don't hook them into your receiver speakers outputs either, more than likely the subs ohm ratings are too low and you will wreck your receiver and it will sound like but if anything at all.

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

. ill agree

4. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I had a bunch of 500w computer power supplies lying around so I took three of the same model and wired the 12v rails in parallel. It was able to run 300w amp.

This is probably the least efficient way of doing this though. Computer power supplies give dirty power and have power loss and even class D car amps arent more than 75% efficient.

5. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Sounds like it is going to be more difficult/annoying than I thought. My roommate took his out of his car and just had them sitting around so I was going to give it a try.

6. Kieffer87

By the time you waste money or time trying to make it work you would probably be better off just buying an HT sub or an HT amp and using that.

7. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Just go buy a cheap stereo receiver at the local pawn shop and wire the speakers up at the correct ohm level. Bam, done.

I have my 12's hooked up to my dad's 30 year old Pioneer stereo receiver. It's fucking fantastic. It's so impractical for anything but music. But I'm a bass-head so I leave them on for movies sometimes.

Enjoy the rattles and shit falling off shelves!

8. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Yeah I live in my frat house so its nice to have some bass on party nights.

9. CrazyInteg

lol awesome. You have to make this your mission for this weekend. Im serious. Go to the pawn shop and buy some newer looking stereo reciever. figure out the ohm-age on your speakers and wire them up properly to the reciever. You will need a low pass crossover for this to work properly (forgot to mention that!!)

10. Kieffer87

Actually If you find an older looking receiver it might actually be better than a newer looking one ;). My dad has an old Pioneer 2ch receiver that looks like it would suck but it jams!

11. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I bet those subwoofers sound great hooked up to an a/v receiver playing ~20hz-20khz.

12. CrazyInteg

I guess you didnt read my previous post

13. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

No, I read it. I stand by my comment. I was also addressing the thread starter to so he knows it's a waste. To do it properly you need an a/v receiver and a separate amplifier to power the sub. Then you can use the receiver to crossover the sub correctly. But, then you also need an enclosure that will work well with the room. After you spend all that money, you are still stuck with a sub that won't perform as well as any sub from epik, hsu or another direct company. It's not worth it.

14. JohnAG

JohnAG OT Supporter

Just get a cheap plate amp from Parts Express.

I've currently got 2 ed 13kv2s for my home sub stage, they sound pretty damn good in the right size enclosure.

15. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

+1 get a cheap plate amp... and yeah, the 13Kv2s sound pretty good... my girl has 2 in her car, I got the 13Os when they were on clearance, and I like them a lot so far.

16. JohnAG

JohnAG OT Supporter

yeah, I got the 13kv2s when they were on clearance for 50 bucks. I've also got 4 of the 130v2s I bought on clearance, probably going to use two in an IB set up in my car eventually and IDK about the others.

17. platinumalty

platinumalty Yes, Id hit it

get a ep1500 for parts express. im running my 2 infinity perfect 12's and its ungodly loud.

18. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I'm going to replace my 13Ov.2s with a pair of JL Audio 12W6V2 subs... now I need to find someone to buy my eD subs... They hit really hard and sound great, but I got too good of a deal on the JL's to pass up.