Hooking up G4 to tv

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by panero, Feb 25, 2008.

1. panero

panero availability

Ok heres what I have

power mac g4
    dual 533 MHz
    768 MD SDRAM
    OSX-10.4.11

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX:
    Bus: AGP
    VRAM (Total): 32 MB

and my TV is a 32" Philips flat screen(32PF7321D/37)

the tv has no DVI input just S-video and HDMI (and components etc...)

so I bought a DVI to HDMI cable and proceeded to hook it up, I wasn't able to get it to work though. The computer (when I connected the old monitor) had saw the tv and switched to a lower resolution or display profile (came up as philipsFTV ) so I know I had it connected right but nothing was showing on the TV (and I did everything the TV manual said to do as far as settings)

Is my video card just not powerful enough to do this? (cable span is about 10') should I upgrade to a better video card? Can I upgrade to a better video card?

Is it worth it on this machine? I would like to upgrade but I don't feel like dropping the money for a brand new one since this one is working fine for everything else I need it for.

2. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

I think you need a radeon 9800 pro or nvidia 7800 GS ( is your mac a digital audio with agp 4x if not count the nvidia out). Those cards can drive those resolutions no problem. As for the transfer, you are in a hard cookie. Does you TV have vga in? if so , vga will run full resolution and you are set. The cards i mentioned have video out , but I don t think they can run video out at more then 640 x480.

The cards will improve your machine's response time , tenfold, because they run core image and quartz in hardware. Definately worth the 150$ or under they will run ya. Hope this sort of helps.

3. panero

panero availability

no vga in on the tv, but it says in the manual as far as through the HDMI

HD standard definition TV 640/720x 480i
    Enhanced definition TV 640/720x 480p
    High Definition TV 1920x1080i
    1280/720p

PC
    VGA 640x480 60 Hz
    SVGA 800x600 60 Hz
    XGA 1280x768 60 Hz

not sure what that means though.

4. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

sounds like it should work, make sure that youre on 60 hz and 1280x780 in your display preferences. Then, when your all set, try to hot plug the tv in and see if that works ( unplug your display, plug tv in) through you dvi to hdmi adaptor. In all fairness the geforce 2 is an antique and it may not even have enough oomph to drive your tv. Just be aware you might need to upgrade a tad in the video department.

5. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

oh, also make sure the tv is in pc mode or hdmi mode. But since your manual says PC video specs are you SURE you don t have a dvi or vga in that you overlooked???

6. panero

panero availability

positive, in that part where it says that it show it being hooked up through the HDMI connection with a DVI->HDMI converter (which is what I bought) and I had it in the HDMI mode, so I guess I need a better video card, but Ive been thinking I may just upgrade to a newer machine like a dual 2g G5 mac, there going for like 800 ish on ebay.

7. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

check the hertz in your display preferences on your mac, make sure its 60hz, it could also be the converter box you bought. I think you don t need it, there is a dvi to hdmi cable i think with no box, someone posted it in another mac to tv thread.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3694913

8. panero

panero availability

thats what I bought, its just a cable with no box, and I tried all of the resolutions it said to all at 60Hz

9. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

Im stumped. I guess maybe the tv is in the wrong mode, all i can think of, which i m sure its not. Might be your videocard, just can t support it, eitherway a new card on ebay will run you about 150$ or less ( buy a pc card and flash it, it will save you alot of cash, if you don t know how, ask me, i ll find you the instructions, its very easy. The only real requirement you need is a pc with a agp 4x slot and a floppy drive and about 10 min of your time to flash the card over.)

10. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

ok i have a question, i am about to try this but my powerbook g4 doesnt have that dvi connector. do i need to get the adapter from apple that goes from the one on the g4 to dvi??

sorry to sound ignorant

11. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

You need a mini DVI to dvi adaptor from apple first. I believe this is what you are asking.