Hooking up a hub and router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1999TL, Jan 10, 2003.

1. 1999TL

1999TL Guest

I have a 10 port hub and a 4 port router, both made my Linksys. I used to use the 10 port hub when I ordered 2 IP's from the cable company. Then I got a router awhile back when they were more affordable.

Anyways, I haven't used this hub in a long time and I'm wondering, is there a way where the router will route IP's to the hub if I uplink them? I'm trying to get more than 4 computers internet access if that's possible. Or do I have to buy another router?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dommi

Dommi Guest

you had it right the first time

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

You should be able to take one of the ports from the router and plug it into the uplink port on the hub. Plug in all your extra computers into the hub.

Why did you order 2 IP's? Your router can just use one IP and do the rest behind the scenes..

4. 1999TL

1999TL Guest

what you mean? I had the hub b4 I had the router because I had the hub years ago before I had cable. Then cable became available in my area so I ordered it. After one month of paying for 2 IP's, I bought a router.

Well, I tried just uplinking the two and I hooked up another computer into the hub. Internet is not working on it nor is networking. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

5. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

Make sure you're not mixing it up with crossover stuff. If you plug from an uplink port to an uplink port, you need a crossover cable I think. Same for regular port to regular port, but regular cable for uplink to regular port. I think... I get mixed up too.

6. 1999TL

1999TL Guest

WTF did you just say? LOL. So what cable do I need for the uplink? A regular Cat 5 cable won't work?

7. Dommi

Dommi Guest

uplink to uplink is crossover
    uplink to port is straight through
    Dommi to scotch tumbler

8. 1999TL

1999TL Guest

Thank you. That was much clearer.

9. 1999TL

1999TL Guest

10. 1999TL

1999TL Guest

"The "Uplink" allows you to use a normal UTP cable to connect two hubs/switches together."

It says that on practicallynetworked.com

So I can just use my regular cable? anybody confirm? or anybody have my similar setup. Thanks.

11. 1999TL

1999TL Guest

In case anybody ever has this problem in the future, I was doing a stupid error. I was pluggin in the uplink port to uplink port on the router. That's the wrong way. From my hub I use the uplink port and then connect it to a regular port on the router. I was connecting uplink to uplink.....

oh, and you use a regular fucking cable if it has an uplink port.

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Or you could just read what Dommi said ;)

13. Dommi

Dommi Guest

Dommi to scotch tumbler?

14. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well, duh! What else did you think I was referring to?

15. Dommi

Dommi Guest

:rofl: