hooking Laptop to PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jaybob, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Jaybob

Jaybob New Member

The screen on my laptop stopped working after it went through the metal detector at the airport. I need access stuff on it. How do I hook it up to my PC to access the stuff? I know it's probably an easy one, but I can't figure it out. Thanks.

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

plug the monitor into the back and there is a button usually a function (button where you hold one and press another) On dell the button is called "crt/lcd" and its the F8 key. Just look for that or somthing similar.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you just need access to the files and do not need to actually boot to Windows on the laptop, you can buy a laptop drive to IDE adapter at a place like CompUSA for $4-5.

4. ski

ski New Member

Im more interested in how your screen was broken by a metal detector :confused:

5. Jaybob

Jaybob New Member

I don't know. It was fine, then after the metal detector it was really garbled. A few hours later...nothing at all

6. Jaybob

Jaybob New Member

I couldn't find the key. I tried CNTRL plus every button on the keyboard. And nothing?

I plug the monitor into the back of the laptop. The screen shows "Toshiba" (the Laptop brand) then Windows loading, after windows loads, it goes blank. I never even see the desktop. Is there any other I can try?

7. Jaybob

Jaybob New Member

Does that just plug into the USB in my PC? Cause that would work, I can do that.

8. pol901pol

pol901pol New Member

look for the FN key, then press the CRT/LCD Key looks like a box with two lines on the sides of it. something like |[]|

9. Zorg

Zorg New Member

Tried seeing if the BIOS has been reset in any way?

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The one I was talking about is an IDE to Laptop hard drive connection. You'd have to open up the desktop to hook up the drive, or have a USB enclosure to use.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  11. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

isn't a metal detector just a sophisticated magnet? If so, isn't it possible that the metal detector nuked the HDD on the laptop?

I would say that is the most likely case, but that's just my .02 cents :dunno: