Hooking a printer to a wireless router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CarBomber187, Oct 18, 2007.

1. CarBomber187

CarBomber187 Guest

I have a old hp black printer i want to hook up in the other warehouse. I installed a wireless router over there for the guy so he could have internet access. I was wondering if i could hook the printer up to the wireless router and have it work like that?

One reason is it would be a lot easier to do this then to run another cat5 line all the way over here to the switch.
    i've got a line from the switch to his router, he accesses wirelessly.
    Only he will use this printer, so hooking it up to his router would be a lot easier and would do the job..

2. CarBomber187

CarBomber187 Guest

Also, if this would work, which i dont see why..how would i figure out the printers IP address on this router?

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Probably gonna need a wireless print server.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Or if it is close enough to the router, a wired one will do the trick.

5. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Is this printer going to be near somebody's computer? If so, just share it out. If not, you'll have to do the print server.

6. CarBomber187

CarBomber187 Guest

it is only a parallel, Ethernet printer. the guys laptop does not have a parallel port. Could i hook it up directly to his labtop via Ethernet?

7. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

what make / model printer and does it have an rj45 connection on the printer already?

8. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

If it has an ethernet port already, you can get a wireless bridge to connect it to the wireless network.

9. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Assuming it's a wireless router with a 4-port hub/switch on the back (like a Linksys Cable/DSL Router) it will work fine.

Printers have a configuration page that they can print out which includes their IP address.

If it's an HP they have a utility you can download and use called "HP Network Printer Install Wizard" (or something like that), it will automatically detect HP printers on the network and install them.

10. CarBomber187

CarBomber187 Guest

it is an hp laserjet 4000, and yes, it has a network connection on the back. idealy i would like to be able to just hook it up to the wireless router

11. CarBomber187

CarBomber187 Guest

yes, it has 4 ports on the back

12. Lynn

Lynn Yes my wife does and no you can't watch.

This HP printer, does it have an HP Jet Direct card in it? Since it has an RJ45 connection in the back, I am assuming it does.

IF SO... that will work well as your printer server. Just connect it to your network and use the HP Jetdirect tools to configure it / add ip address.

13. CarBomber187

CarBomber187 Guest

:bowdown::bowdown:

i am assuming i can download those tools online for free?