Hook Up 16 Ohm Speakers to home receiver?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NevaTrustWhitey, Sep 14, 2006.

1. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

Hello, I currently have a set of DCM loudspeakers hooked up to my Yamaha receiver. On the back of the receiver you can switch from 4-8 ohms i believe. A friend is trying to interest me in a pair of Gem Sound Club Speakers but they are 16Ohm 300watt RMS/600 Peak. My questions are these:

1) Would it hurt my receiver to hook these up with the switch at 4/8 ohm.

2) Would it be worth it to hook these up? If i ran the receiver at 8 ohm, would it not take twice as much power to equal its normal output? Basically, will my 75watts X 5 receiver be able to drive them.

I realize these are more for party atmospheres, but I was just curious if they would work with my yamaha receiver. If so, I would probably run my DCMs as pair A and the Gem Sounds as pair B

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Generally speaking there's no harm in hooking up a higher resistance load than the amp can handle. If the amp is rated stable at 8 ohms, for example, you could attach a 16 ohm pair to A, a 16 ohm pair to B, and safely run them both at once. If it can deal with 4 ohms, two pairs of 8-ohm's are safe. Basically the way they're attached to that amp, you will need to halve the impedance of one pair to account for two of them...if that's higher than the minimum rating of your amp, you're gold.

3. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member