honestly how important to match speakers from same company/series?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pharcyde183, Jul 16, 2007.

1. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

Right now i'm thinking of getting a new receiver....

I have JBL northridge N38 fronts
    Polk Audio CS1 center channel
    JBL northridge e250p 12" powered subwoofer
    Infinity SL30 bookshelf rears

receiver to be either a pioneer or Yamaha

how important would it be to get a JBL northridge center and rears? I feel rears arent that important anyway since they are 'separated' so much from the fronts but I know some feel that the center should be voicematched... the center i have is perfectly capable though when compared to northridge center channels. I dont really wnat to spend the extra cash.. how important is it?

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Generally they are set up to give flat, 360 degree response. If you have the ability to tune it then not all that important.

3. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

Not very. I build all my own loudspeakers, so it obviously doesn't make much difference considering they're all different, but built by me. Not unless someone is using like B&W nautilus speakers or some other fancy horn or TL speaker, with a cheap ass sherwood center, then yes, it matters.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah unless there are very large differences in the speakers you wont notice much of a difference, however if you have speakers that aren't all that seperated by budget but have much much different characteristics and/or amplification then you may notice some variation between the speakers

5. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

True. I mean, honestly, what is more important is how you set the speakers up rather than the speakers themselves. People who read that a certain set of polk towers are voice matched to a set of polk bookshelves and center are indeed spending good money, but spending it for the wrong reason. The only thing that the speakers have in common is the drivers, but the arrangement is usually so vastly different, they must sound unlike one another. Thus, if they do sound different, but you can't tell, then you shouldn't fall for the hype.

6. joetama

joetama New Member

Actually, you want all of your speakers to be close to the same.

If they are not you can get a totally different voice of the speaker all over. (When I say voice I don't mean voice as in human speech I mean the voice of the speaker.)

In lower fidelity systems this isn't as important, however if you want to be fully surrounded it is important to have speakers that are all voiced the same...

7. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

Word, don't underrate the importance of this. You'll notice it as soon as anything pans from left to right and the timbre of the sound changes.