Honest opinions, please...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by El Slotho, Apr 7, 2003.

?

Does the SMS front end look better than the M3 stock front?

1. Ja

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nein

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

Okay, I swore that I would never bother with body kits or any real aesthetic modifications to my car, but a friend is about to swap his SMS front end out for a new Reiger cup kit and side skirts, and I can have it for free if I want.

Free = the only reason I am even considering it. However dogshit is also free, by which I mean just because something is free does not necessarily mean it is going to be a good thing.

I have unfortunately elected to paint my black perimeter moldings because I am fucking sick of dressing them up every three days as they start looking ragged, so the molding-less front end will not look out of place on the car.

Once on, I will also be readjusting the front end's ride height up a bit to even out the lower SMS bumper with the rest of the car. This does not bother me because right now the front end is too low, and my wheels will be back on their way to me from HRE and I had pretty much elected on a higher ride height anyway to spare them any more drama....yeah right. :rolleyes:

SO....should I do it? I am not asking any other forums because I want a straight and honest answer and I know I will get it here, even if I don't like it. :big grin:

My car's front end now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SMS front end on the car it is on now. Just try and picture it on my car, which is a bit lower, with all panels the body color ( :) )and HREs on the side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My honest thought is that I have done all performance modifications in the two and a half years that I have had the car, and since this will cost me nothing, why not do it? The front end isn't that much different from the stock E36 M3 aesthetic, it's just broader and fatter.....however there is this part of me that feels like once I mess with the stock aesthetic of my car that I will have tainted its look with a caricature front end...and it could be a colossal mistake.

I will be honest - since it is coming to me anyway, I am probably going to have it painted and see what it looks like on the car. If I don't like it, then it's coming off....but I am still curious to hear your opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

3. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

In all seriousness.

NO.

4. AsianRage

AsianRage Know about Media Ventures?

IT doesn't look good. But meanwhile, I've seen two E36 M3 with 02 M3 bumper in the front.

5. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Its not that bad, but the corner splitters are just a bit too excessive in my opinion.

I'd get it painted up and see what it looks like, nothing to lose really.

6. El Slotho

Yep - So far, pretty much in line with my thoughts as well.

7. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

ONLY if you will get the rear to match. If not, i think it looks out of place. But if you would get the rear, HELL YEAH!

8. El Slotho

No real chance in hell on that. I am not a body mod guy, and the money for the rear gets me a new set of Evosport accessory UDPs. :big grin:

I have chosen to forgo the bumper, and bought a JTD Designs aluminum underpanel cover for the stock front fascia. This will allow me to run the current drop without worrying about ripping off the plastic crap that runs me $170 or so every time it goes. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the honest responses, I do appreciate it. :bigthumb:

9. wnut

wnut Guest

i don't mind body kits...look at my car =)

but i can clearly see why your friend is swapping on a Rieger. unless u want to look like dado, skip that sms bumper. doesn't flow well with the car at all.

next.

10. El Slotho

Which was always the deal breaker in the back of my mind, even when I was actively considering it. I have two friends with that front end counting Dado. :big grin:

11. wnut

wnut Guest

:bigthumb:

12. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

I say NO. I love the classic aggressive look of your current front end, esp the lip. Don't be a Dodo, I mean Dado :nono:

13. someguy

someguy WWMD?

no

Only thing that I would do is put the stock kidneys back on, I don't like black outs :o

14. El Slotho

I gave them away - I can't handle the blackouts anymore, and do not know WTF I was thinking in the first place. :rolleyes:

CGM3: Dado is probably one of the nicest, most reserved, chillest guys you would ever meet. It is unfortunate that his online legend and bullshit cult of personality have become larger than even he can stomach, because a lot of people seem to have any number of off-base misconceptions because of it. :( I am sure that you will disagree because of the one thread that gets constantly referenced here, and I won't waste my time with the defense. Do know that I am the first person to write an asshole off and strike him from my book of life once they have crossed a line, and if Dado were truly anyhere near as deserving of as much derision as he gets, I wouldn't be associated with him. :dunno:

15. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

:werd: I am actually just talking shit. This dado thing is way played out. I don't really have a real opinion of the guy one way or the other.

16. El Slotho

Nice forum software upgrade. :big grin: