Honda seems to be slipping... IMO

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by GReddy EX, May 6, 2003.

1. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

remember when Honda was basically the "fastest" of the compacts... remember when all the rare blue Si's OWNED the streets?

now look... damn.... they are damn near the bottom of the bucket in that market now...

then yesterday, I am reading about the upcoming Acura RL... Honda decided against a V8, and opted for AWD and a 300HP V6... they don't see any market growth or need for a car to compete in the large luxo market ie - LS430, Q45... :wtf: why are they so determined to stick to such efficiency and economy?

don't they know that the people that buy those cars are basically, automotive gluttons? there's no way that they don't think they will sell... cause drive around on any given weekend and you'll see HUNDREDS of $45,000+ sedans...

I dunno... I just don't see why Honda doesn't go the route of Nissan and basically go "balls to the wall" and try to IMPRESS people with the "kill a fly with a stylistic sledgehammer" route.... I mean yea, 300HP is fine, but for a "flagship" car that won't be out for a couple years... it will prolly be a bit less than it's competitors...

oh well... rant over... :sadwavey:

2. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

no, i dont remember those days

3. KDubb

KDubb everyday I'm hustlin'

honda = the wal-mart of automakers.

4. mle

mle OT Supporter

lol @ fastest

5. ssp

ssp Guest

Hahahah, greddy gets dumber with every post. No, sorry, those "rare blue si's" never owned the streets :rofl:

6. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

um, if you think that Nissan, Toyota, or Mazda's were anywhere near as popular in 1999 as Civic Si's were... you're dreaming

7. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Yea, they had the sport compact market wrapped up.....until they proved to others it was profitable and we started seeing real cars like the WRX and the Evo, right about the time they STOPPED bringing us the car that could have kept them alive (ITR). Bad decisions could kill them in that segment for sure. They're just lucky the MR2 turbos, Celica GT-4s, Silvias, and many other old japanese mid-market sports cars aren't still around to be imported or they'd be in even worse shape.

8. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Those days must have been in some parallel universe.

9. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

it's in quotes for a reason... ass :rolleyes:

10. mle

mle OT Supporter

:werd:

11. jk

jk Guest

Yep, the Si's owned the rice street.. that is about it.
    I don't know, Honda is going for bang for the buck in the luxury market. I would rather have a CL-S over IS300, 325i or a4. And I see plenty of them on the street everyday. They are pretty solid at where they are at right now.

12. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

at least someone doesn't jump on the anti-me bandwagon and realizes what I was tryin to say...

13. mle

mle OT Supporter

It still was never ever considered to be one of the "fastest".. ass :rolleyes:

14. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

um, I don't see why this statement is necessary, seeing as how it's basically the same thing I said in the beginning

15. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I remember those days. They may have cosmetically owned the streets, but there were faster cars.

Now, then, and will continue to be.

Because economy is what Honda is good at.

Honda doesn't go balls to walls because they don't have the proper business model. When a company has a rich history of economy cars with maybe 2 cars that are considered powerful, its hard to do a 180.

:wavey:

16. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

honda stayed the same. IMO they've gotten better in the past few years. Yeah they have no lude anymore. The new civics are selling really well. The accords have 40 more hp. Blah blah...

the problem isnt honda. its other car makers have caught up. on top of that honda isnt the "trend" anymore. couple of years ago hondas were still slow as shit and fwd, but everyone liked them.

the trend now is rwd, awd, turbo, etc. basically everything honda isnt.

17. spooky

spooky OT Supporter

Honda prides its heritage about being efficient?

18. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

oh really? do you NOT remember all the Papadakis covers? All the Civic's plastered on every Turbo and SCC cover?? with 10, 9, then 8 second ET's in bold next to them???

I'm NOT talking about cars like Supras, RX7's, etc...

I'm talkin about like... Mirage coupes, Celicas, Sentras, etc....

the Honda Civic started it all (at least in the states) whether you want to admit it or not...

just cause you don't remember it, doesn't mean it wasn't there

19. jk

jk Guest

Hard to tell if you are trying to be sarcastic.
    And you have a orange lexus, that doesn't help either.

20. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

stayin the same when everyone else advances = slipping IMO

especially when you USED to be on the leading edge...

21. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I was there. The ONLY reason they got all the covers was because they were popular, not because they were doing something cutting edge at the time. There were fast economy cars before this "Honda Golden Age" you speak of.

22. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

'real' cars = market segment. They didn't BS around w/ the swapping out the sport motors for teh US market and had the balls to bring the real mid-market shit here, which won them fans. No, they're not the fastest cars outta japan in the price range (quite the opposite), but they combined sport and function better than anything else. A real Silvia, 180SX, GT-4 or anything like that could have wiped the market up, but instead we got shit motors in nice chassis (240s, Celicas, etc.), or a DAMN nice sports car w/ no utility value (MR2 Turbo, miata). Other than that, it's super-expensive all-out sports cars. The only thing even remotely close was the DSMs, but the reliability factor scared away many potential customers (you're looking @ young kids that can't afford to fix things they break most of the time)

Honda gave us the GSR, followed 3 years later by the ITR. The Civics had peppy enough motors and the Del Sols had the B16s. Later the B16 powered Civic Si owned the makret until it's demise NOT becuase it was GREAT car, but because it really had no competition that wasn't from Honda. What else were you going to get? GSR? ITR? 2.5RS is slow in comparison, the 240 was gone, the New Celica was blowin motors left and right.... There was pretty much nothing else. As soon as the ITR died and the WRX hit soon after, and Honda STILL Didn't bring an ITR over, they were finished. And now that the world sees the US as a viable sporty car market, i doubt tehy'll see the top again.

23. spooky

spooky OT Supporter

How is that slipping? Honda is one of the leaders when it comes to auto sales.. Why take a risk and change the formula?

24. GReddy EX

GReddy EX Guest

huh?

I said in my FIRST post that I was talking about compacts ONLY...

IMO compacts = ricey econo cars... I don't use the term rice though cause it's fucking stupid

and even a child could comprehend what I was talking about, once they read the post...

what's so fuckin hard to grasp?

25. Sonic

Sonic Live every day to the fullest, for yesterday is go

Well, the Accord is doing OK, along with the Odyssey, but they REALLY fucked up with their bread and butter cars, the Civic and Civic Si. Quality, style and overall performance tanked horribly.

The RL is a :ugh: car, and since they are unable to 'play the game' like everyone else has (because they don't have a V8 or RWD platform to fall back on), they have to make concessions. It's sad to see that Honda is painting themselves into a corner when everyone else (namely Nissan/Infiniti, with the total rebirth of Infiniti and great strides they have made with the Altima/Murano and 350Z)has finally figured it out (including Kia and Hyundai).