Honda Rancher (trx350) VS. Yamaha Kodiak 400

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ridedirt, Jan 29, 2003.

1. ridedirt

ridedirt OT Supporter

Both 4x4, the Honda would have electric shift and the Yamaha is an Automatic. The Honda is all time 4wd while the Yamaha is 2x4 / 4x4. Im torn in which one to get, but im kind of leaning towards the Honda for the instrument gauge, longitudaional mounted engine and the electric shift.

Any suggestions??

2. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

The Honda is a good 4wheeler man, but the Kodiak is a far superior machine. That automatic is bullet proof and always has the right gear, regardless of the terrain.

I work with a company that develops track systems for ATV's and I've put many an hour on the Kodiak 400. That thing really took some abuse and came back for more.

I understand your point about the gauges and details, but I really believe that Yamaha has put some extra money into zinc-plated shafts, beefing up gears, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

the electric shift is a piec of crap it breaks all the time and drains the battery

the yamaha is the one to get

and labrodor boy are you robs mob or what company do you wrok for

4. poostik

poostik member

Digging this one up . . . I just went through this choice on Saturday. Both 2005 models (I know, this thread is old). Ended up getting 2 Kodiak's.

Haven't picked them up yet. I'm dying.

Can't wait to get on these.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

So you're looking into a utility quad im assuming?

Checked into Arctic Cat at all, I hear those are good for utility.

Correct me if I am wrong though, I dont know a whole lot about 4x4 utility quads.

6. bush0102

bush0102 Guest

The kodiak is a better machine than the rancher. You might even look into the Kodiak 450- i think its only like 500 bucks more than the 400, and you get independent rear suspension and a locking front differential. IMO the Kodiak 450 is the best utility value.

another big issue is brakes- yamaha uses disc brakes, the honda has sealed drums. my buddy's rubicon's seals always go out and it winds up ruining the bearing.

I'd stay away from Arctic Cat, but check out the Bombardier Outlander 400- my neighbor has one, and i personally prefer it over the kodiak.

my advice in buying a quad is when you are looking at similar models from major manufacturers. Chances are they are going to perform the same, but one may be much more comfortable for you than the other...