honda oem head unit question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Climbing Cracker, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Climbing Cracker

    Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2001
    Messages:
    23,467
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Colorado, Los Angeles, Nairobi
    will a oem honda cd player from a 99 civic fit in a 97 civic?

    thanks :bowdown: :hsd:
     
  2. GlocksRock

    GlocksRock Glock > You

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2003
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    North Carolina
    Not sure, but I think it will.
     
  3. twistid

    twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2001
    Messages:
    40,795
    Likes Received:
    102
    Location:
    The Kansass/Oklahomo Border
    i can't remember the years off hand, but some honda's you need the factory headunit in the car for the factory keyless to work.
     
  4. AirWaveGT

    AirWaveGT Do tiny black horses eat ice cream while dancing

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2001
    Messages:
    7,718
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    md
    im pretty sure its 96-97.
     
  5. Climbing Cracker

    Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2001
    Messages:
    23,467
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Colorado, Los Angeles, Nairobi
    not worried about keyless, just as long as it will fit. my pioneer was stolen in august. this is the second time i've been robbed, so i'm over it now. they took the cd player out of my car and truck, my cds, and my sunglasses :rolleyes:

    i have a borrowed tape player from a early 90s accord in there right now so i can at least listen to the radio. i just wanted to make sure it would work before i bid on one from ebay.
     
  6. twistid

    twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2001
    Messages:
    40,795
    Likes Received:
    102
    Location:
    The Kansass/Oklahomo Border
    i don't think you're going to get lucky... the 96-98, and the 99-and up are different harnesses iirc.
     
  7. NisAznMonk

    NisAznMonk New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2001
    Messages:
    1,476
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Houston, Tx
    yep he's right :)

    You can buy the female harness that plugs into the 99 factory deck, and then hook it up to an adaptor that will connect to your 97 harness. The wires are color coded, so there is a 99% chance you won't screw up. Of course there is always that 1% :x:

    [​IMG]

    Thats the Scosche HA08R [Original Factory Harness (Female)]. Thats the piece you'll need to plug directly into the 99 deck. Its about $15.

    click here for the ordering website
     
  8. NisAznMonk

    NisAznMonk New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2001
    Messages:
    1,476
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Houston, Tx
    oh yeah, because of the dash design of the 97 civic, you MAY need to modify the radio a bit. You could always swap out the entire center section from a 99-00 model into your 97 :)
     
  9. bearsdidit

    bearsdidit OT Supporter

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    Messages:
    32,818
    Likes Received:
    37
    Location:
    Huntington Beach,CA
    96-98 civics have the weird slanted single din dash... a 99 has a straight double din.. but the cd player will come apart from the pocket
     
  10. ScrapinSi

    ScrapinSi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    Messages:
    155
    Likes Received:
    0
    not as easy as you say... 96-98 civics use cable a/c vent setups, as where 99-00 are electric... You need to swap not only the center, but the entire dash, wiring harness, a/c system, and some more stuff too...

    plus the radios are shaped differently.
     

Share This Page