Honda CR-V Production Moves to Mexico

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Mar 23, 2007.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Honda CR-V to Mexico

[​IMG]

Date posted: 03-23-2007

GUADALAJARA, Mexico — To help meet growing demand in the U.S. market, Honda Motor will assemble the CR-V in Mexico beginning this fall.

Honda's Guadalajara plant expects to build 50,000 CR-Vs in 2008, according to the industry publication Automotive News, half of which will be sold in Mexico and the other half exported to the U.S. and Latin America.

The Guadalajara plant has been assembling the Accord sedan, but it will be phased out to make room for the CR-V, which is also built in East Liberty, Ohio.

CR-V sales in the U.S. jumped 42 percent in the first two months of 2007, to nearly 28,000 units.

What this means to you: As sales of full-size SUVs flatten out, smaller car-based crossovers continue to flourish.

2. TriShield

Oh no, Mexican assembly, how awful :run:

3. glide

glide primer

Build quality will remain the same :o

4. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

my 2007 CR-V EX was made/assembled entirely in Japan. It came off a friggin boat....thats what im talkin' bout....that news about 2008 is a shock to me.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Most Mazdas are built in Canada. My dad's MX-5 was built in Hiroshima. Guess which Mazda model is hands-down the most reliable.

It doesn't matter if they try to enforce the same quality standards; at the end of the day they have to move product regardless of whether it's six-sigma or not. And it's not likely to be six-sigma at the new factory.

6. hdizzo

hdizzo New Member

Check the build quality between the Nissan 350z/g35 > nissan altima > nissan sentra. It goes from the highest to lowest 350z/g35 (japan) > altima (usa) > sentra (mexico). But then again I hear of horrible build issues with the ford focus which i'm not sure where it is built.

7. Ivan

Ivan Guest

it all comes down to the dollar bills. Why pay some americans 25 dollars an hour to build a car when mexicans can do it for 3 dollars an hour. Thats why I hate nafta with a passion.

8. TriShield

European engineered, Mexican assembled. :hs:

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Are American assembled cars selling for more? You'd think if they make the same model car in two locations (USA and Mexico), then the one assembled in Mexico would be cheaper, reflecting labor cost.

My car was also built/assembled in Japan, came over on a boat 21 years ago. Still alive and ticking, solid car. But it's a Toyota.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The more legitimate money Central America makes, the less unstable they are. NAFTA is a good thing for us because it means we're not parked next to a bunch of bloodthirsty, impoverished dictatorships.

(in theory)

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Um, no. Supply/demand does not work that way. If someone is willing to pay USA price for a Mexico product, then the company will charge said USA price and pocket the additional profits.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yea, 'cept now we have a bunch of blood-thirsty governments that have money... Now they have motive AND the means. Not much of an improvement. In fact, it could be a step backwards.

13. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

The entire powertrain assembly (the important part) will still be assembled in japan as it always has..that being said i would rather have mexicans build my honda than overpaid middle aged white trash from the midwest.:fawk: