GUN Homeowner shoots, kills burglar

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 19, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Homeowner shoots, kills burglar
    http://www.herald-citizen.com/index.cfm?event=news.view&id=F291EFA3-19B9-E2E2-6781773D6E222368
    Mary Jo Denton
    Herald-Citizen Staff
    Friday, May 16, 2008
    WHITE COUNTY -- A Crossville man was shot and killed by his victim while burglarizing a house in the Hamptons Crossroads area yesterday, law officers said.

Shot dead while pulling a gun on the homeowner who caught him burglarizing his home was Brian Keith Cook, 32, a man with a lengthy criminal history, according to White County Sheriff Oddie Shoupe.

It happened on Airport Road at the home of Keith Gurtley, 63, who was armed with a 9 mm pistol and has a permit to carry that weapon, the sheriff said.

"Brian Keith Cook had first gone to the home of a woman who was recuperating from an illness, and he was knocking on doors and windows there," the sheriff said. "She phoned her husband and her father, who were away in a meeting, and her father started home."

Meanwhile, the man knocking on her doors left in a truck and drove to the next house, which happened to be the home of the woman's father, Keith Gurtley, Sheriff Shoupe said.

"At this next house, the burglar broke a window and got in and started piling stuff up. One thing he stole was a .38 caliber pistol and he stuck that in his waistband."

Just as the burglar was leaving, Keith Gurtley arrived home and confronted the man.

"This burglar coming out of the house asked Mr. Gurtley, 'Can I help you?' and Mr. Gurtley said, 'Yes, you're in my house, bud.'"

That's when Brian Keith Cook allegedly reached for the pistol in his waistband and Gurtley, warning him not to, pulled his 9 mm weapon and shot Cook, who died at the scene, the sheriff said.

He said Gurtley, who has a permit to carry his gun and who was legally within his rights to protect himself and his property, was even so, "really traumatized" by what happened.

Sheriff Shoupe and his officers called in the TBI to help with the investigation, and Cook's body was sent to Nashville for an autopsy, he said.

"I'm afraid that if Mr. Gurtley had not been armed, he would be the one dead," the sheriff said.

In fact, more and more White County residents are taking steps to obtain weapons carrying permits, he said.

"I think people are just tired of the way the justice system works. They're tired of having to be afraid of all the criminals out there."

In addition to Sheriff Shoupe, others who investigated the case included Detectives Chris Isom, John Ford, and Rubin Hormilla, Chief Deputy Thomas Simmons, Capt. James O'Connor, Deputy Nathan Blaylock, and TBI Agents Dan Friel and Billy Miller.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Concealed carry works? Who would have guessed.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've always thought confidence was the key to getting away with being some place you're not supposed to be. I guess when it fails though it can fail hard :rofl:

4. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

If they would ban all guns, then the criminals wouldn't have them. Obviously gun control works.

5. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

Good for him.

6. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Pookie was a career criminal committing an armed felony.
    He would have been facing 25 years anyway - no reason for him not to pull the trigger on the homeowner.

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

The home owner should get taxes back for the year for saving the state $10's of thousands of dollars.

8. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

:bowdown:

9. Blip

Blip Active Member

should of had that .38 locked up though.