Home theatre system v.Optical audio output from TV question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by raand, Feb 2, 2009.

1. raand

raand New Member

I was not sure where to put this question, but I think this is the right place..

I am thinking about buying a home theatre system. I was wondering if I get a system with optical input that means that I can run the optical output from my TV to the system and then anything that is hooked up to the tv the audio will get sent through the HTS?

my issue is that I am finding that the systems without HDMI inputs are cheaper, but I am not sure how I would get the Blu ray audio from my PS3 to the HTS without having an optical cable from the PS3 or the TV. If going from the TV works that would be better, because then I can run all my peripherals through the TV to one optical output.

2. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

the home theatre section would be a better choice for this.

3. raand

raand New Member

I did not see that section sorry

4. raand

raand New Member

moved it sorry for posting it in the wrong place

5. 7960

7960 New Member

:squint:

no, you made another one.

6. raand

raand New Member

didnt realized they had moved me

7. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The only problem with using a common optical output from the TV to the HT system is if you send 5.1 over hdmi to the tv, it will come out as a stereo signal over the optical. The tv will only output 5.1 over optical if you are watching an hd signal via coax input. Your best bet is to run audio from the source to the receiver.

8. raand

raand New Member

the only issue I am having is that I have HD Cable and a PS3 both plugged into the tv through HDMI, so I can use the optical output from the PS3 to the receiver, but I will not be able to plug the cable into the receiver..

Is it possible to get the TV to send out 5.1 when the input is HDMI?

this is the HTS I was looking at
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...cat167300050037&type=product&id=1200702389126
    not the best quality but it is in my price range

this is my tv
    http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-vx32l/4505-6482_7-32165930.html

9. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

Another route you can go is a an optical switch. All it does it take a bunch on optical inputs and outputs the signal chosen manually. I think I bought one for like $10.

Something like this?

10. raand

raand New Member

yah I was just looking at those how well does it work? I have read some bad reviews.

Also another question how does that system look for 207 dollars? all the reviews seem to be that it is a good system for the price

11. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

this is also very dependent on your tv set. Some sets only use the optical output for the tuner. All other inputs don't switch onto the optical. Other tv's it works as expected. From my tests I found it is better just to run the audio part of the input straight to the surround sound instead of through the tv because the audio can lag behind the video if you add that extra unneeded step of processing into the loop.

12. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member