Home Theatre Suggestions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mike00, May 5, 2007.

1. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I'm looking for some suggestions on home theatre systems to go for a new house that will finnally be built in august. Really looking to stay within 1500 bucks max but preferably closer to 1000-1200. Other then that I have no idea where to begin it will be used primary for tv/movie watching but occasionally cds.

Also as long as I'm posting also picking up a Plasma/LCD minimum of 42inches with a 2000 dollar budget. No preference for either format and will be used primarily for movie watching with some gaming from time to time also.

Anyway any suggestions would be great.

2. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Occasional gaming? 50" Plasma.

For audio, good speaker packages can be had from av123.com, hsuresearch.com, ascendacoustics.com, among others.

3. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions did a little more research and right now I'm thinking something like this:

Polk Audio RTI8 Floor Speakers
    Pol Audio CS2 for center
    Polk Audio Monitor 30 CH for rears
    Polk Audio PSW10 for sub

4. Harry V. Gina

Polk is decent. IMO better deals can be had online, particularly when it comes to subs.

5. grendel

grendel New Member

Are you more into music or movies? Or some of both?

6. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

99% of the time it's going to be for movies. 1% of the time it will be for music for like say the house warming party or my girlfriend would throw it on when she cleans. Nothing serious where the audio quality for music needs to be very big. I obviously don't want it to sound like crap either but even just average works fine for me. Movies on the other hand is the reason why we want and why were picking up a 50inch plasma. We are huge movie watchers.

7. Create

Create :free at last:

Best feedback from the poster in a computer/home audio forum I've seen in weeks.

Harry's basically said what I came to say. Listen to him.

8. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I guess the polks I listened to at tweeter just sounded great. Realistically I'll go with anything for abotu the same price had been buying at crutchfield and speaker + sub totals came out to about 950-1000 which was basically my budget.

Any suggestions on where to go or what to change then? I'm open to anything that would be better quality but the budget is a bit limited to what Ican spend on speakers.

9. Harry V. Gina

So are you getting a pretty good discount on the Polk's? If you like them and prefer to buy local, then go for it. However, you really can do better on the sub. Even a modest HSU or SVS would probably eat the Polk's lunch.

10. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

They would be coming through Crutchfield but I've listened to them at tweer. Essentially they were a bit lower then msrp + if I buy tv also through them which is a fair deal I get 10% off the polks.

As far as sub never even heard of HSU or SVS. I'm not a big audiophile just love the surround for movies/games so what exactly are you tlaking about?

11. AO

AO New Member

In total darkness (blackout curtains during the day): plasma. Sunny rooms: LCD

The best deal on a 42" plasma has to be the Panasonic at ~$1100 (1080i). You can probably get the 50" <$1500 on craigslist. The newest Panasonics have 1080p. 2 HDMI, 3 component, 2 vga. Wait for the sales, buy from someone that has an iron clad extended warranty.

12. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Hmm the gf gets discounts for Panasonics through her company I'll have to have her check out what the discount is.

13. Harry V. Gina

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

I'm thinking a pair of X-SLS fronts, X-CS center, and X-LS rears.

For a sub, maybe one of the following:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html

This may be a bit over your budget, but will sound very, very good for the price.

14. Harry V. Gina

Oh, and Crutchfield can be a ripoff.

15. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I've never heard of the company one one hand I'm a little worried about the price of how cheap the speakers seem to be and on the other the subs seem a bit hefty. Hmm perhaps I'll go with the speaker set and see if there is a different sub I can find in between. IF not I'll shell it out because having a nice sounding sub probably going to be nice for action flicks.

Any reason why you don't recommend the X sub from XLS? While I want a nice soundy bass it also doesn't have to wake the dead. This is a condo btw.

Hmm Never heard of AV though.

Definitly given me something to think about thanks.

16. Harry V. Gina

I can assure you that all of these companies are legit and have many happy customers.

The X-Sub is probably ok, but the ones I recommended are going to be able to play deeper and cleaner. If it fits with your decor, you can get a white SVS PB-10 for $375+shipping, which is a great deal.

17. itsover954

itsover954 New Member

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Wrong.

19. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Well I walked into tweeter today with the girlfriend and they had some great deals on the Polks RTI8 ended up going and getting entire surround sound system now which sadly I get to wwait till August 30 when we settle to open them.

Anyway system I ended up with is all polk:

RTI8 Floorspeakers,
    FXI3 Surround Sound Speakers
    PSW10 Sub ( I know it's not a huge hitter but it's good enough for a condo)
    CSI3 Center

Receiever got a great deal for the yamaha RX-V661.

but anyway couldn't pass up 850 dollar speakers for 409 dollars. Setup the fronts and center and it's sound pretty damn beautiful with the IPOD hooked up to the receiver.

Thanks all for the suggesitons.

20. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah polk has a pretty good more neutral feel to them IMO. pretty universally pleasing soiund especially to those newer to HT, if i ever did a second room id consider them

and yamaha receivers are pretty cool, easy set up and use IMO, just a lot of shit in them sometimes, lol

glad everything is working out

21. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Thanks now I just need to figure out what I need to play the DVD Music discs. Surround sound in music sounds pretty freaking nice.

22. Ronin

Ronin Guest

get a denon dvd-audio/SACD unit if u can spring for it

23. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Either I'm dumb or I haven't found a sincle cd unit that specifies DVD audio. IT's odd. Or maybe I'm just that drunk.

24. Michinda

Michinda Last Tango ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ OT Supporter

I purchased Pioneer Elite VSX 82TXS and it's freaking sexay. Along with Klipsch RF82s for front. So much power with these.

25. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

check your local tweeter store. down in socal, all locations are closing down and now is the best time to get some deals. more for your money!