Home theatre setup in new condo...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2000GT, Apr 15, 2004.

1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I don't know much about speakers, so please bare with me.

Basically, I have a new condo I am moving into and I wanna start a nice home theatre setup. I am starting fresh, my old stuff is shit.

I went and checked out some nice speakers, wharfedale Pi 20's for about $800 Canadian. I really like how they sounded running off a semi decent reciever... but is there anything else I should be checking out? I think I can get a deal with the wharfdales and a decent receiver for about $1000 - which is my budget for now.

Also, what kind of receiver would you recommend me without breaking the bank?

2. 04

04 Guest

I don't know what brand's you can get in Canada, but I would look to spend between 200 and 250 dollars on a dolby digital/dts reciever. Also, what other brands have you been looking at?

And are you wanting 5 speakers and a subwoofer, or just 2 stereo speakers?

3. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I haven't looked at much... but I looked at bose, jbl and some Sears brand stuff.

Eventually I want the 5 speaker and sub setup, but I can't afford it all - so instead of buying 5 speakers and sub for 1000 bucks and having weak SQ I will buy what I need as I go - so I figured front stereo speakers are a good way to go.

4. 04

04 Guest

Definatly, I highly suggest getting 2 great speakers first and then later upgrading.

Do you know what audio stores you have in your area?

5. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

Some good quality speaker brands that are cheap for us canadians: Paradigm, Totem, Energy, Athena, Mirage, Axiom

As for the receiver, you're gonna save alot of money by going down to the states...as cheap as speakers are up here, you're gonna get totally raped on all other electronics. Check out sites like www.etronics.com or www.ecost.com which are partners with canada post and can tell you up front how much it will cost with shipping, brokerage fees and duty.

Another option is to drive down to Bellingham...it's only 20mins past the border crossing so depending on where you live it might only be a 1/2 hour trip. When I was down there I got Circuit City (or maybe Best Buy...I forget) to pricematch www.onecall.com prices (which is the online version of Huppins Audio/Video retail store in Spokane, WA). I got quoted $500US for an HK AVR330 which sells for $1299CDN or about $970US. I didn't have the cash on me at the time and I wanted to confirm what kind of duty I'd have to pay (which seems to be somewhere between 0 and 7% depending on the customs officer you get, but you do have to pay GST) so I didn't buy it, but it was almost half the price for the exact same thing. Now I don't recommend you spend that much on a receiver with a $1000 budget, I was just making a price comparison between the two countries.

Another speaker option is you can go to future shop and audition;
    Athena AS-F1 towers $499
    Athena AS-C1 center $229
    Athena AS-B1 bookshelves $229

Then if you like how any or all of them sound I can scan you in a receipt from the West Broadway Future Shop showing the towers for $358 or the entire package for $698