Home theater will not work with TV

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hotness, Jul 1, 2002.

1. hotness

hotness New Member

I recenlty purchased a Samsung TV and Bose Lifestyles 28 Home Theater system. Well, I hooked up everything and I can hear music CDs, the radio and the audio from the DVD, but I can not get the picture to show when playing DVDs. I think I may have it hooked up incorrectly. I looked in the owners manual for the system and it does not tell how to set up a home theater system through your TV and a cable box. This is how I have it set up:

A/V cables from Bose system to TV.
    Cable in from TV out to cable box.
    Cable in from cable box from cable outlet.

Like I said, I can hear all the DVDs and CDs, but I can not see any pictures when I play the system. Everything else (video game systems and VCR) I have hooked up works fine and I can see and hear. I am thinking that maybe I should run some A/V cables from the Bose to the cable box, and from the cable box to the TV.
    I know it is kind of difficult to process what I am talking about without any visuals, but any info will be appreciated. I don't want to have to resort to calling out someone to take a look at it.
    Thanks.

2. 04

04 Guest

Do you have a video cable plugged into the dvd player and the TV? Did you set the TV to the proper video input?

3. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

I might be a little sleepy so excuse me if I missed something. But in line 2, do you mean, Cable box out to TV in? The way you wrote it makes me think you hooked a cable from your TV's out into your cable boxes in.

I don't know how the Bose systems are but with regular setups, ie receivers and/or preamps, you run all your audio thru your preamp (your BOSE). You run video through it as well (all the outputs from your cable and dvd) if the bose system can switch video. If not, then your cable boxes video output and your dvd players video output should go TO your TV via differnt video inputs on the tv. You can't plug one into the other as far as I'm aware.

Andy

4. hotness

hotness New Member

Thanks for the advice Andy. I am going to check it out right now and let you know how it went.

5. hotness

hotness New Member

Once again, thanks for the advice. I got everything straight with the system, but now I am trying to figure how to play all my TV audio from the surround sound speakers.

6. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

Hmm...let's see. I assume you want to connect your cable's audio to the TV so that you don't have to use your surround system all the time. Well, if you cable box has audio (left and right) outs you can run that to your Bose system and run the coaxial cable directly to the tv. This will give you cable audio from TV alone or TV and surround. Another option is if your TV has audio line outs. If so you can run cable audio to tv then from the TV's line outs to your Bose. Hopefully, your cable box has a/v line outs. BTW, if successful, becareful when changing channels. With the volume bumped up sometimes you can get a pretty loud thump with channel changes.