Home Theater Systems vs Separate Receivers and Speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Claydus, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw thses systems at Bestbuy and they both sounded pretty good...... but the price is what concerns me $599.99 for the Sony and 799.99 for the JBL

So heres what it comes down to..... I will be buying a DVD/home theater system for my parents this Christmas.... Could i possibly get the same results from these Home Theater Systems by buying some speakers and a receiver??
    examples

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]
    with a
    [​IMG]

ok so i'm not the best audio freak around so thats why i'm asking you guys........ i need some advice

2. S10XtremeNLow

S10XtremeNLow Active Member

those JBL's sound great i like em (the seperates) u will need a center channel too

3. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

Honestly, for that much money go with the HTiB. Separates at this cost would be very difficult to get. You'd need 5 speakers and a sub and a receiver and a dvd player. Get the HTiB and spend on some decent speaker stands/mounts for them instead. Mayber for about $1000 you could do some separates.

Andy

4. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

Which HTiB????

5. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

The top one was a sony right? Big X now. But if that was the Sony with SACD capabilities I'd go with the Sony. Honestly, don't know much about the jbl and who makes their electronics. If the Sony has SACD I'd got that route. I saw a similar set up at best buy with an all in one dvd/cd/sacd changer/digital amplifier unit for about $350. Didn't seem too bad for a small setup.

Andy

6. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

What's SACD stand for?

7. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

super audio cd's. Special cd's that are supposed to sound "better". Cleaner. Also can give you multichannel surround mixes of available titles. Check out sony's website.

8. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest