Home Theater System

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drinks11, Mar 28, 2004.

1. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

I'm looking into installing a complete system in my house: DVD player, receiver, CD player, surround sound, etc... It's a pretty big room so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on brands, wattage, mounted speakers or on stands. The room itself is probably 18' square, but the kitchen is connected to it, another 18' square, so I was thinking maybe getting a 7 piece speaker system and hooking up an extra two in the back of the kitchen for music listening. Any thoughts?

2. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

First thing you need is a price range.

3. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

good call...I guess my price range would be $3000 or so, I just want something that will definately not be obsolete and will sound perfect. Just got an HDTV, so I want a sound system to power it.

4. 04

04 Guest

I'd probably budget around 500 for the receiver, look at brands such as HK, Denon, Onkyo etc..

I'd spend around 600-1400 on a subwoofer, perhaps a SVS subwoofer or Adire dharman, really depending on how much bass you need.

I'd probably spend between 100 and 150 on a dvd player depending what features you need.

I'd then spend the remaining money on the speakers. You said you wanted an additional pair for the kitchen, right? I'd probably spend a bit less on the kitchen speakers, but IMO a 5 speaker setup (7 including the kitchen speakers) would be perfectly fine, especially considering your room size. The speakers are going to be the hardest part to pick, as they all sound differently (sometimes quite a bit) and you will really want to audition a few sets at the stores before purchase. At this point you have around 1000 to 1500 dollars left to spend on speakers, and I would reccomend spending the majority of that on the front stereo and the center channel.

5. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

thanks

6. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Just to add for the kitchen since I'm guessing it's just ambient music for dinner/cooking/entertaining I would go with in ceiling speakers.

You can get a good pair at Cambridge Soundworks for ~$150-250.

7. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

good call on that

8. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

See if you can still find a place that has an HK AVR525 in stock. Very nice piece if you still like the black look over the new silver...it has a 2 zone feature (with two remotes) for those kitchen speakers and has the features and power to do most anything you'd want. It should come in right under the $500 mark if you can find one. If not HK, Onkyo, Denon are always safe bets and those new Panasonic digital receivers have been getting good reviews if you want to go that route.

For the DVD player, I'm liking the Pioneer DV-563A...gives you the versatility to play dvd-audio discs while providing about as good a picture you're gonna get unless you move up alot in price. Should be around $150.

That's about $650 and leaves you $2300 for speakers...maybe $800ish on a sub and $1500 on the rest of the speakers. Now in general you'll probably get a better deal from thse online vendors such as av123.com, Ascend and Axiom, but with the disadvantage that it's hard to audition them. A sub from SVS or Hsu etc. is a bit easier to buy blind based on favourable reviews, but you really need to listen to the rest of the speakers to see if you like them...maybe hit up a forum like avsforum.com and see if you can find somebody who'll let you audition them at their place.

Other companies to look at: Paradigm, Totem, Energy, Athena, Mirage, B&W, KEF, with my list being very canadian manufacturer biased as that's what's cheap for me and what I've listened to. There are tons of other options as well, so you get the fun job of going out an auditioning all you can :big grin:

9. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

awesome, that definately helps, thanks a lot

10. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

3k...

ok speakers first.

my preference for sound is klipsch.

Rf-35's up front
    Rs-35's in the rear
    and a RC-35 for center. from www.brandnamez.com thats 1325 for speakers.

now for the subwoofer its pretty unanimous across all the audiophile boards that the HSU subwoofers are the best out there especially for the price.

I'd recommend the STF-2 for 399.99 from their website or you can ask for a b-stock for 350 which is what i'd get.

for your B 2 speaker set for the kitchen , you could go with the klipsch RB-35's for 400 a pair also from brandnamez

now for the receiver i would recommend a Denon 1604 from www.dakmart.com for 250 and while your there pick up a Denon 910 dvd player which is highly rated for 220 from the same site.

when i get home from work ill post a link where they did a massive test between dozens of dvd players and the 910 was in the top 5 out of like 60 i think..

after all that youll still have 400 left over give or take for a cd player which im not really into so i wont recommend anything there..

but if your REALLY into movies id highly recommend you get the RC-7 center channel over the RC-35 since 70 % of movie sound comes from the center. but the Rc-7's cost 530 as compared to 265 for the rc-35.

if you can't tell im more biased on sound than anything else..

although personally i don't feel you NEED to spend over 500 for a subwoofer because although a sub like the SVS PB2+ would totally fucking rock your room, if you cheap out on the main speakers, the bass would start to overpower your sound and then youll end up having to turn the sub power down a whole lot to compensate for the weak mid and high's which then defeats the purpose of having a godly subwoofer as compared to a really great subwoofer.

the Rf-35's i recommend above for the main L and R are VERY efficient speakers and you can easily turn them up pretty painfully loud while maintaining sound quality and they have a really good lowend to boot with the subwoofer definately helping the punch.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  11. Dom418

Dom418 New Member

Some very good suggestions in here :big grin:

One thing that has been left out, is that you should allow about 10% of your budget for things like cables, conectors, and controls. They are important componets that people often forget about when planning a system and can obviously create problems later down the road.

:big grin:

12. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

And what cables do you suggest that cost $300???

13. 04

04 Guest

I disagree. He shouldnt need to spend more than 100 dollars on cables.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=100-155&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-670

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-642

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-946

That's about all he probably needs and only costs about 70 dollars.

14. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

cables are such a bitch when it comes to budgeting.. you never really know how much its gonna run when its all done as you might come across situations and then end up need adaptors or more cables and other crap...

15. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Huh? Adaptors?

Cabling for a stereo system is pretty straight forward.

You need cable and bannana (sp?) plugs. For Video you need svideo and/or component cabling.

VCR - 1 svideo cable, 1 rca cable.
    DVD - 1Svideo/comp cable (set,) 1 rca/digital audio cable.
    Cable/Sat - same as above.

And so on, personally I bought the tools to make my own cables awhile ago because I like things neat, so all my cables are the exact length :o

16. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

like s-video into vga or component into vga or perhaps hooking a pc up into a receiver youll need the little adaptor for the miniplug into rca jacks.. etc

17. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

I apologize for missing this post earlier.

The VGA/Comp. adapter is the only expensive one in that bunch and it should run ~$100-200 for a cheaper one, but the only people that would usually need that are projector guys who only have RGB/VGA inputs, (like me :wtc: )

The rest of those adaptors are not expensive, regardless the point is you do not need to budget over $100 (generally) for any kind of setup, you can but usually it is going to be a waste of money.

18. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

19. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

I've got 240' of speaker wire in the walls and ~115' from receiver -> wall -> speakers (rec -> front speakers)
    150' of video cable in the walls

But then I'm also powering 3 rooms with my receiver :bigthumb: