Home theater surround speaker placement?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Nov 4, 2005.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I currently have an ancient Pro Logic receiver (3 front channels + mono rear) which I will upgrade when funds permit. I just moved into a new house and for now I'd like to get the rear speakers set up. The room is about 19' front to back and about 12' left to right from the perspective of my recliner facing the TV. The TV is roughly centered on the wall and my recliner is across the room, up against the back wall. I'd like to install 4 rear surround speakers in advance of getting a 7.1 receiver but use just the right/left surround speakers until then.

Questions: The diagrams I've found online show the right/left surround speakers straight out to the side of the listener or slightly behind. How bad would it be to have those speakers slightly forward of that? So they'd be along the side walls of the room, 2-3 feet from the back wall. I'll be pretty much right up against the back wall of the room when I'm watching TV. I'm trying to avoid having all 4 surround speakers lined up along the back wall of the room. That's bad, right?

How much better is 7.1 than 5.1? With my placement constraints, would I be better off just going 5.1?

All of the surround speakers will need to be ceiling mounted. What are some good, but not too expensive, and smallish speakers I can use for this. Something about the size of the Bose 2 driver satellite cubes, but not Bose, would be ideal.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

7.1 is better than 5.1 for positioning issues, get a 7.1 receiver, and u can just go with a 5.1 and upgrade to a 7.1 in the future.

5.1:
    [​IMG]

7.1:
    [​IMG]

1-2 feet above ear level for rears (more than 2 feet works as well)

give me a number for your budget, my opinion of expensive is 1000 dollars a pair, not too expensive could mean 300-800 as far as i know

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah those are the diagrams I was referring to. See how the Rs/Ls speakers are at 90-110 degrees? How bad would it be if they were at 80? (ie. slightly forward of the viewer)

I was hoping to get rear speakers under $250/pair. Is that realistic? From what I've heard, surround speaker quality isn't as critical as the front 3.

Anything would be a step up now. I haven't even reconnected my rear speakers since I moved in since they're big and black and would look like crap in the new house. But I figure as long as I have to go into the attic and drill holes, I may as well take care of the whole rear at once, even if I don't have the 7.1 receiver yet.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

How about a speaker system like this?

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=TSS-SAT750CHR

Its a 5.1 system out of the box but you can add additional satellites for 6.1 or 7.1 setups. I imagine a system like that is totally bass-less without the sub, since the drivers in the satellites are only 3.5", right? Will a 5.1/6.1/7.1 receiver use the left/right front + the sub in stereo mode or does the sub only work on 5.1+ encoded material.

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

it depends on the receiver whether or not it will work in 5.1 or 2.1 or everything