Home Theater Speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CW85T-Type, Jun 7, 2002.

1. CW85T-Type

CW85T-Type Master of the obvious

I'm working on upgrading my 3yr old JVC 5.1 setup. I had the receiver die two nights ago and I went and bought a new receiver that fit my budget.

Pioneer VSX-D850S
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/HomeProducts/HomeProductDetails/0,1422,2246,00.html

I know its not the top of the line, but I got it for $359 (Normal price was $399, i'ts on Amazon for $499) and got a pair of KLH TW-09B's wich sound good compared to the JVC speakers that came with my old setup. Thats tells you where I am with speakers

I'm looking to piece together a good spearker system, buying them either one or two at a time and looking to spend between $100-$150 each max.

What should I get for
    Center
    Left and Right front
    Left, Center and Right rear
    Sub

Right now the room their in is small (10x10) but it will be put in a larger room when I move.

I mainly watch DVD movies and listen to all types of music (Rock, Rap, Country, Classical, Jazz, etc). I have the computer hooked in through SPDIF and I can her problems in 128K mp3's pretty easaily and WMA's are just CRAP....

2. 04

04 Guest

You can easily get some good speakers for 150 apiece. I would suggest spending more on the sub. www.adireaudio.com check them out for the sub, they sell the Rava which is very highly regarded. As for speakers, you are just going to have to go out and listen. See if there are any dedicated stereo shops in your area. Go listen to some models and see which ones you think sound good. Come back here and then ask for opinions on them. Just dont get suckered into spending 1/4 of your budget on cables. :rolleyes:

As for the computer sounding bad, that is because of the 128kbit bitrate!!! That is too low of an encoding bitrate not to have artifacts introduced into the audio. It could also have been encoded by a poor quality encoder.

3. CW85T-Type

I need to find a quality audio store around here. I'm in Garden Grove, CA. All I usually find is the cheap-ass places with crappy stuff (lower than bestbuy).

as for the MP3's, with my old reciver I couldn't hear some of the imperfections that I hear now. Tells me this receiver is better quality than the one that died :)

4. 04

04 Guest

LOL, you live in Garden Grove. hehehehe. Do you like sublime? :bigthumb:

Anyways its odd that you could hear a difference between the mp3's comparing the two recievers. Was it a dramatic change?

5. CW85T-Type

Sublime? :bigthumb:

I think the JVC receiver was on its way out for a while. The new reveiver is so much clearer.

6. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

lol, Im near you. I bought my polk Audio RM 7500 system from this shop in Santa Ana, Sound World Audio. I first heard the polks at Circuit city and they wanted $1600 for them. I went to http://www.soundworldaudio.com/ and paid $1200. I don't know if he still sells polks, but he carries a lot of good brands. Good luck