home theater help i'm lost..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Titus, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

i just got a just got a 50in plasma and want to get a new home theater setup. i really only need the 2 bookshelf speakers a center and a receiver and i would eventually add a sub. i dont want to spend more than 500ish right now if at all possible. can someone point me in the right direction. i know nothing about this. thanks!

2. knell

knell New Member

That's going to be difficult. A decent receiver will push that budget of 500. Might want to look into something like

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-SR80...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196725575&sr=8-2

I've heard the onkyo is a fairly solid receiver.

I am in a similar position, but I've chosen to wait until I can afford a more solid start up system (good receiver + bookshelves or towers + center) in the ~1500-2000 range.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

yea you're right. i'm probably just going to man up and spend more money to get a better system. i guess ill try and keep things around 1000 - 1500. i was looking at some of the av123 stuff. it looks good esp for the price.

4. knell

knell New Member

5. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

AV123 xls line is great for the money. Unless you have a really wide seating area you could skip the center channel for now and just do L+R.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

it's a big room, like 20x20. i'm really not too sure what i'm going to do yet. i guess i'll just fork out the money and go 5.1. just trying to figure out how to do it and not spend too much.

7. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Problem is when you try and spread your budget across 5 speakers and a sub you inevitably take a big step down in the quality of the speakers. I understand the urge to get 5.1 and be done with it but imo 2 good speakers are more satisfying than 5 mediocre ones.

8. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Listen to this man

9. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

You are better off with a decent pair of stereo speakers, than some shitty HTIB solution.

having said that, you cannot beat the av123 deal for 5.1 + reciever + dvd player, for $1k.....incredible deal for pretty good speakers

10. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

This is 100% correct. I've never regretted sticking with 2.1. That might be partially because I don't watch enough movies that utilize 5.1 to make it matter, but it makes more sense to make sure your mains are high quality.