Home Theater Crew Need Recommendations! v. Projector

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PUREVIL, Oct 1, 2008.

1. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

OK so last year I made a thread, for speakers I haven't purchased anything yet because i've been busy with work and summer. Now that winter is coming I want to get this project finished up. Im still leaning towards the Klipsch speakers in my old thread. But I found a guy selling the Klipsch THX system for my price range and Im tempted to buy that, but its rather large. Anyways Im still looking for a projector and with so many choices whats the best 1080p projector for $5000 or less? or should I increase my budget on the projector?

Old thread.....
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3054828&highlight=1080p+projector

2. BlaXXXima

BlaXXXima OT Supporter

I just purchased an Epson 1080UB, and it's fantastic. They are currently offering a $300 rebate, and a free lamp, so it's an amazing deal. Most of the online review sites recommend it as being the top under $5000 PJ out there.

How large a screen you want to use, and the throw distance will also play a role in what you should chose.

Options include:
    - Mitsubishi HC6000
    - Panasonic AE2000 / AE3000 (just introduced)
    - Sanyo PLV Z2000

3. BlaXXXima

BlaXXXima OT Supporter

Oh, and assuming you want / can afford to spend more than $2500-3000, you can jump to the JVC RSC-2, which is supposedly excellent.

4. PUREVIL

Im kind of leaning towards the panasonic AE2000 the reviews give it really good reviews for the price. $5000 is my max, since the speakers are going to be about 5500.

5. BlaXXXima

BlaXXXima OT Supporter

What speakers are you going with?

Any reason why the Panny over the Epson?

6. PUREVIL

Im leaning towards klipsch, the RF83 system. My friend used to sell them and I really like them. I used to have polks and they sounded pretty good too. If someone wants to recommend me something else feel free.

All the reviews I read really rank the panasonic high, but they did say that epson makes the LCD filters or some LCD parts for panasonic. Again in the budget I set the competition seems to be very close in everything ya know? There seems to be no clear cut winner. I originally wanted the Sony VWL60 because I really have good luck with Sony products but after reading some compairsons they rank the panny better and its cheaper so I dunno.

7. BlaXXXima

BlaXXXima OT Supporter

I looked at the Klipsch, and while I liked them, I found the horn-loaded speakers weren't my preference. I ended up going with some Paradigm Studio 60s. But to each their own with speakers.

How many have you listened to? Anywhere that you can listen to the side-by-side, and do A/B switching to flip back and forth between them. I did a bit of that to get to the ones I liked the best. If you like the Klipsch (which are more forward), have you tried Focal / JM Labs? They seemed pretty forward to me. If you don't know what forward / laid back means, ask - it took me listening to a few speakers together to figure it out.

As far as projector reviews - you really can't go wrong with the Panny. What kind of light control do you have in your room? How close / far will you be sitting or mounting the projector?

Either way, if you've never done projector before, you'll be happy as hell you did. I just finished my room on Monday, and went with a 100" screen and the Epson, and I LOVE it. I used to have a 27" JVC though... :big grin:

8. BlaXXXima

BlaXXXima OT Supporter

Oh yeah, if you're not already there, go to AVSForum.com Lots of good info and advice there. Your name is familiar, but not sure if it's because of other PUREVIL's I've seen around :big grin:

9. PUREVIL

I'm PUREVIL on all kinds of fourms. The room is pretty flexible and Im going to be using it mostly at night so light shouldn't be an issue, and the curtains I have make it pretty dark even in the afternoons. Im planning on mounting it on the ceiling so I should be able to mount it anywhere for optimum picture. I have a 120 inch screen, I wanted either a 80 or 100 but my friend was selling his so I picked it up, hope its not to big.

10. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

I would go Crt for the best color and true pitch black levels. The higher end ones do 1080p and spank all digital projectors. Plus they are more reliable and have longer lives /easier to repair. Also theres no visable pixels and no screen door effects with crt. They are much better investments if you are going to be spending a few grand.

The nec XG is probably the best bang for the buck

http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTforSale_HighPerformance.shtm

http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer_1.shtm

11. funkbucket007

funkbucket007 New Member

I have the Mitsubishi HC-4900 (now replaced by the HC-5500) & other than wanting a bit more out of the black-level, I have no complaints. It's on an Elite 120" SilverMax screen.

12. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

You havent seen true blacks until you see a crt and your whole room going pitch black to the point you cant even see your friends beside you. Not even alot movie theaters go this black. I had to cover all my digital lcd electronics and what not because they started to bug me.

13. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

I recommend this guy
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W5000.htm

Ive used it personally and it is really a great image.
    Great black levels and brightness is excellent.

Use the calculator on that site also for your calculations in throw distance screens size and gain with your desired projector

14. cacique78

cacique78 Member

As far as the focals are concerned give them a try. Chorus 826V or if you want the baller ones go for the profiles (918s). If you liked the klipsch you might just be pleasantly surprised by these