Home Theater Connections (Coax/Opt, 5.1 Analog, etc)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zylo, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

I have a very basic home theater system that consists of a Sony STR-DE997 receiver, coupled to a Sony DVP-NS775V DVD player.

I have 6 aging speakers from the Pro Logic days (old JBL towers & rears and 10" powered sub) and plan on upgrading them soon (Infinity Alpha, Paradigm, Velodyne, etc)

This is a beginning point, I have all level 2 monster cable connections, all video connections are Component Video, and all audio connections (minus the cable box) are Optical. I have a very short and very expensive (THX cert.) Monster Optical to the DVD player, and a cheap, but longer Monster Optical to my X-box. I plan on upgrading the receiver sometime after I aquire new speakers and a new TV and to also upgrade the cables, such as the X-box optical. I Plan on upgrading to Denon, Sony ES, or Lexicon. I do not see a need for Marantz, Krell, or any of that "cost more than my car" shit. Besides.. I am a Sony consumer whore! :big grin: ok, back to subject..

The Sony only allows Coax digital output on the DVD selector, so I assigned a misc Optical port to Video 1 and tagged it Sony DVD (you can name them) but i'd rather the DVD player be on it's selective port. And I was unaware until today that SACD does not output to any digital port (Coax/Opt). My Sony only outputs SACD on 5.1 Analog.

Does this hold true for other DVD players, or is it just my shitty Sony one?

And finally, which connection is the best? I always thought Optical was best, and some say Coax is better, and then finally some people tell me 5.1 Multi-Channel (Analog) is the absolute best, above both Optical and Coax.. :wtf:

So which is it?

- Optical, being that it is immune to RFI/EMI
    - Digital Coax
    - 5.1 Analog (using 6 RCA-like cables)

Thanks!

2. 04

04 Guest

SACD (DSD) cannot be passed over a spdif interface. You're stuck with using the analog outputs.

As for the debate between using the optical or coaxial cables, either should work fine as long as noise isnt an issue. Optical has another advantage in that ground loops cannot form between components. I use coaxial, but that is only because my preamp/processor has AES/EBU inputs that are compatible with consumer level SPDIF. If I had the option, I'd probably use optical.

However, basically you're stuck with using analog if you want to listen to SACD's.

3. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

Alrighty.. that's cool :) Analog it is..

I may have a ground loop now that you mention that though.. my powered sub hums incessently when the receiver is switched off. It's grabbing a low level signal and amplifying it.. I can go upstairs, and tap on the drywall near a lightswitch and it will pause for a second and then continue humming. ugh.. I need a new sub anyways, and I have been infected with the HT-virus and am growing weak..

Must.. get.. Tumults.. or.. Velodyne... or SVS.. uyrhgh

4. solaraguy

solaraguy Guest

Is the sub on a power filter of any sort? Even a cheap filter will get rid of most AC line noise.

Denon has 2 receivers currently in production, the 3805 & 5805, that will allow you to pass a digital DVD-A or SACD from their DVD-5900 flagship DVD player to the receiver...this is a proprietary connector. There are several other brands that offer similar functionality at the flagship level.