Home System On A Budget...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

... and that budget means with what you have.

Here's what's up in my world.

I am completely remodeling my upstairs and in my room I will have a built rack on the wall. It will have cd/dvd/ tuner on it.

Here's the background.

I bought my soundsystem over 18 months ago and had NO FREAKING IDEA what I was doing. It seems to me the speakers are underpowered and the bass NEVER hits. I'm putting in this surround sound system (5speakers/sub) in my room up in the corners.

I have a set of kliphse speakers for my computer and I was wondering if I could use the klipshe with the tuner for the surround sound system and build a box for an OLD IMPP Pioneer 10inch sub I have laying around.

I also want to switch the surround sound speakers to my computer system.

I'm wondering if I can run these klipshe 4.1's (2 yrs old) from the tuner that I have. (I WILL POST PICS SOON. MY FUCKING ISP DEL. MY ENTIRE USERS DIRECTORY ... FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!!)

I'm also wondering if I can use the surround sound speakers on the computer.

I need everyone's advice and experience here.
    1. Do you think the klipshe speakers (no center channel) will sound shitty (with the impp sub) and using them as non-computer speakers is stupid? Also, you think by choosing this option that I should use the surround sound speakers with the IMPP 10" sub in the room.
    2. Do you think I should use the surround sound speakers with their own sub in the room?
    3. Do you think I should use the surround sound speakers with the IMPP sub in their room?
    4. Do you think I should use the klipshe speakers in the room w/ the IMPP sub?

Here's the problem. I don't have an amp. :wtc: Only amps I have are built-in amps. The tuner has a 300watt amp and the klipshe computer speaker has some type of amp in it (i forgot power output).

The plan is to put 4 sattalites in the 4 corners of the room and the sub in the corner. (any advice on building an in-house box would be great. - I have built box's for cars ;) )

Anyway, If you need pics to get a better picture just post up and I'd be happy to oblige.

1. The room is a normal sized room and square. Nothing fancy or large. There is only one shelf in the room . :big grin:

(I guess that's it :big grin: )

2. elitesound

elitesound Guest

What current speakers do you have? Its possible that they are broken or not set up properly. If they don't hit hard enough, do you have a subwoofer?

You can use the surround sound speakers on your computer, you will need an amplifier though.

Since you don't have an amplifier for the IMPP, I say for the time being just go with the Klipsch computer speakers. When you say "tuner" do you mean reciever? If so, you are going to have to buy a high to low level adaptor in order to interface the the receiver with the klispch set unless the reciever has preamp outputs (most dont)

Pics would be very helpfull.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

That's the back of the reciever.

Here's what I know.

I have a reciever that puts out 30w per channel at 8 ohm. I have a surround sound system (yamaha :rolleyes: ) that includes 5 sattalites and a sub. The sub has an internal amp(I"LL HAVE TO CHECK THIS OUT. I forgot to look for that in the manual yesterday :doh: ).

I also have the klipshe 4.1 computer system. (presently on my computer) It consists of 4 speakers and a sub. This sub also has an internal amp
    Question is: In my room. Do I want to put in the 4 speakers or 5 speaker system. The klipshe are better speakers by far but what will sound better in the room (hung from the corners) and will the klipshe computer speakers even work with the reciever?

Presently the klipshe speakers run off the amp on the sub. So just for clearity let me state that again. The wires that go from the satallite Klipshe system plug into the sub. IF I use the klipshe as the surround sound system in my room then would they work with the reciever?

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

6. 04

04 Guest

I would run the Klipsch speakers with the amplifier they come with. They were designed to work with that much power and should work fine. Do you mind if I ask what other speakers you bought to go with your other receiver?

For now, I would just not use the sony receiver until you can get some new speakers.

The klipsch should have inputs, and you could hook your dvd player directly up to them.

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

No problem. The speakers are Yamaha NS-P220 Home Cinema 5.1ch Speakers.

edited :(

8. 04

04 Guest

So the Yamaha system sounds a lot worse than the Klipsch?

Is the bass module on the Yamaha passive, or does it have its own amplifier built in?

9. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

It has it's own amp built into it. At least that's what the manual says. :dunno:

When I do the test volume for the sub (while plugged into the reciever) it sounds like it's seriously underpowered or blown but it's NEVER been turned up very loud.

On the back of the sub there are plugs for :input from amp" so i'm thinking that there's no amp and there's also plugs for two speakers which confuses me. It just doesn't make sense. The surround sound system came with 5 speakers not including the sub but it only has two plugs on the back of the sub for speakers.:wtf:

That's just confusing. There's a wiring diagram for the inclusion of an amp so with an amp I think there's a possibility for the speakers to come to life.

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Bump. Do you think the low quality of sub sound is b/c of no amp?