Home System Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dominion, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

Dec 28, 2004
    Ok I'll try to give as much info on what I'm looking at right now as possible :)

A little background, a couple years ago I purchased a htib with a 5disc DVD changer, I forget the exact model but it is a panasonic. It has worked fantastic since I purchased it but the audio is a bit off lately and I can hear a bit of noise in the speakers in some scenes in movies, as well the bass is either too low to the point of sounding flat or too high to the point of distortion.

What I would like to do is build a new system and seperate the DVD player into it's own thing. I've been looking into it a bit and I just can't seem to figure out what I'm looking for. I tried going to a local electronics store but was just confused and frustrated by the sales guy so I ended up leaving.

My budget and goals I hope will be able to mesh together. My goals are:

Clearer sound (but I'm not an audiophile so it doesn't have to be perfect)
    better control over my bass (still don't understand why there is no mid setting)
    enough audio inputs to control audio for my cable reciever, PS2, Wii, 360, DVD player, and one or two extra just in case.
    setup that is movable, I don't own a house and am planning a move in the summer to Oregon and I don't know how that apartment will be setup.

My setup in my current apartment would be couch against the wall, rear speakers next to the couch. Sitting about 10 feet back from the TV and speakers ontop of or next to my stand.

My budget is about 1000-2000 over the next few months, it's not something I'm going to buy all at once. I'd like to get as close to 1000 as possible but willing to go up to 2000 (give or take a bit for extras and taxes and such)

There are no specialty stores around here at all (Small town Dump, their idea of a specialty store is the best buy 45 mins away) so items will come from either that sort of store or the net.

I am just confused about things out there. Any help would be much appreciated :)
  2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

whatd id do:

m22 v2 bookshelves
    qs4 v2 surrounds
    vp100 v2 center

if your TV is hdmi compatible, 250, if not mid range player is 150 (unless you dont want another dvd player then ignore this)

i wouldnt worry about a sub in a apartment due to neighbor issues, maybe down the road get a av123.com rocket ULW-10 sub or an svs sub for 400-500 bucks if u rly want a decent sub

you can always wait to move to oregon and you wont have a sales tax :big grin:

your budget might be a little strecthed but i assure you the stretch will get you a pretty good set up
  3. johnson

johnson New Member

Nov 21, 2003