Home speaker repair

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spiral529, Dec 13, 2007.

1. spiral529

spiral529 Full Metal Member

I got a pair of older KLH 3-way speakers. One of the high-range woofers is dead (no sound). I opened it up and checked the connections and everything looked ok. I'm not sure if it's the woofer or crossover or what.

Any tips on troubleshooting this?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's far less likely that it's the crossover vs. the driver itself.

You could connect the driver directly to the speaker wire leads. There's nothing to worry about, so long as you keep the volume at a modest level when you touch the wires to the leads. And for clarity, I mean like 1/8th level or so.

3. spiral529

spiral529 Full Metal Member

I tried this and the tweeter is indeed dead. It seems like the easiest thing to do is replace the tweeter in both speakers to stay matched. This 4" cone tweeter looks like pretty much an exact replacement for what is in there now.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-018

It looks like I could also fit a titanium dome tweeter like this one.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-155

Do you think those would sound any better or am I best off sticking with a direct replacement?

4. Doc Brown

Well first of all you said it was one of the woofers. I would never have recommended that you run straight juice to the tweeter.

:mamoru:

But the second tweeter you list there will be superior, and should probably work as plug and play.

It has a 1,500hz resonant frequency which is almost certainly lower than the original KLH driver, so you're good to go there. (higher would have been not so good)
    The efficiency is 90db which will be at least as efficient as the original tweeter was. But it might be a bit hotter, so you may find yourself turning down the highs a bit. Nothing to worry about.
    It's 6.8 ohms, which puts you right in the ballpark of just about any crossover from back then.

So yeah, it will work. It's probably a more articulate tweeter than originally came with the speakers, so it may even sound better than it did before.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i prefer silk-dome to any "titanium" tweet. The metal tweets sound so harsh.

6. Doc Brown

Yeah, the metal domes have poor damping, so when they do get pushed to distortion, they breakup really bad.

But for the price range he's looking at, those would sound fine.