GUN Home shooting range?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Jan 18, 2005.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I was thinking, what If I was to get a an inch thick plate of steel, and cover that with old cut up rubber tires, and I put that against the wall in my basement, and used that for shooting .22s? Are there any federal laws against that? If not, would anyone know if there are any MA laws against that?

2. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I wouldnt imagine there are any laws against it :dunno:

3. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

what about a hanging a thick wall of old tire sections in front of the plate? if it penetrates, the round should splatter on the plate. if it should ricochet, the round won't have enough energy to penetrate the tire?

i am also concerned with prolonged discharge of firearms indoors without a proper ventelation system.

there might be local laws prohibiting discharge of weapons within city limits. but in your basement, who the hell would know? noise might be a problem if you have windows in the basement.

oh and don't let your homeowners insurance know about this.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I'd question a .22 penetrating one sidewall of a tire, let alone multiples.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

The indoor ranger at my club just has shredded tires over a steel plate. I figure that if I can shoot a .44 mag in there, then one I make at home should at least be able to stand a .22. The bullet goes through the rubber, hits the plate, and either splatters, or richochets, but the bullet has lost most of it's energy when it hit the plate, so it can't make it back out of the rubber.

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'd see that as the big concern there. The air in a house doesn't change over as fast as a place built to handle firing guns inside. I think the air in a house changes completely only like twice a day.

I have a thick metal pellet trap and I've shot my .22lr into it and it catches it fine. I don't see why rubber tires wouldn't do it. Use sub-sonic ammo too... It's more accurate for a plus, a tiny bit less noise, and it'll be less power hitting the back stop.

7. tainted beef

tainted beef I got Grape Nuts

Do you live in the city limits? I'd check with the local Sheriffs office and see if there is a permit to get

8. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'm out in a country town in MA (Bolton).

9. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

another thought, lead contamimation and airborn lead dust is a problem too. remember, this is your house. do you really want that shit in your house?

also, if you plan to sell or refinance and the bank or buyer tests for lead you're fucked.