home reciever/speakers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DLF, Nov 12, 2004.

1. DLF

DLF New Member

i need some help with a new reciever and some speakers.

i have a old HTIB system i been using casue was all i could afford when i got my home but now i want something better all around.

im a big dvd/ game person so want something that will give me good sound for both of those activities.

it needs to have enough hook ups in the back to support a dvd player, xbox and ps2. i like to run everything thru the reciever then to the tv but if theres a better way please let me know.

money limit will be somewhere around the 1000.00 mark for everything (speakers, reciever, cables)

the tv im using right now is a sony 36 inch hdtv and a sony dvd player its a brand new dvd player just cant remember the model that it is. i use direct tv right now and trying to decide wether to go to there hdtv package or go somewhere else (local cable company doest offer hdtv)

well any help you guys can give will be gratefully apreciated. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

2. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

what kind of receiver came with your HTIB?

can you still use that?

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Yamaha/Denon/Marantz for the receiver I'd say. For the speakers... hmm. Good question, there are just so many choices. I assume you don't need a sub or don't want one yet, since you didn't mention it, and it would severely limit your budget. So don't expect a lot of bass from bookshelfs (which you probably like for gaming/movies). Personally I just received some NHT s-3 bookshelf speakers and they sound amazing. $600 retail I believe, I found them new for $400 on eBay though. I'd recommend going to www.stereophile.com and go to their budget section, or www.tnt-audio.com and do some searching there (they don't have a specific budget section). Paradigm, Polk, Axiom are all good brands in this price range. Paradigm Atom specifically is good I hear, Polk lsi-9 or lsi-7. Chorus 706 is another. Like I said, probably better to read that site and go to some stores and have a listen. I think most people will just post their current speakers (obviously I am), but what sounds good to me may not sound great to you.