Home receivers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Loopy, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Loopy

Loopy What do you think happens when you get too far fro

I am looking for a receiver that can switch between two different 5.1 speaker outputs, or maybe a 5.1 and a 4.1. Simultaneous play from the same or different inputs is not necessary.

Even high end computer speakers suck compared to a moderate home theater setup, so I want to use a decent receiver and speakers for the computer. I currently do not have a 5.1 receiver for my TV, so I need one of those as well. Rather than buy two, I am trying to find one that can do double duty. All the receivers I have seen so far can only switch two front speakers, not the whole setup.

2. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

I don't think you'll find one like that like grumpybb said. But how much are you willing to spend. Receivers are relatively inexpensive nowadays so might be able to swing a very basic one for your computer and get a nicer one for the home theater. Maybe even a used one from www.audiogon.com for the computer. To get that many outputs you're talking thousands for seperates and multizone capability.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Simultaneous play is not necessary?

So you're either using your HT source or your computer source, but not both at the same time?

This shouldn't be too bad. Just wire the speakers up as 5.1 channel for HT, then grab a sound card that's able to pass S/PDIF to your receiver.

There's of course more to it, but that's how I have mine currently set up. I'm not sure if I'm getting 4.1 or what from my computer source, but I know that the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz has a selectable Digital 4.1 output, as well as digital out, or 6 channel analog out.

Now if you were thinking of using 5.1 analog channels for HT and 4.1 analog channels for computer all in one receiver, then I'ld have to agree with the other guys that you're SOL.

4. CLTypeS

CLTypeS Guest

i think he wants two sets of 5.1 speaker outputs. so speaker system for computer and seperate set of speakers for home theater.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I think he might be confused.
    Yes, that's what he asked for, but then he says he doesn't need to have simultaneous output. So then, why?
    And if you can, why not just output computer stuff to the same high quality HT speakers, rather than on computer speakers?

I dunno :) Just trying to help.

6. Loopy

Loopy What do you think happens when you get too far fro

Yes, I want two separate speaker outputs. Computer and TV are not in the same room. Inputs are of no concern as every receiver under the sun has 20,000 inputs. Sound card outputs SPDIF and analog so I'm not concerned there either.

I don't understand why receiver makers aren't making receivers like this. They put 10x more inputs than anyone will ever use, but only one set of individual speaker outputs? I'll probably end up buying two receivers, which I really didn't want to do.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh :)
    Two separate rooms. I get it :big grin:
    I think you're looking for the multi-room function. There are receivers out there with this function. Typically only found on the high-end models or flagship lines.

I'm pretty sure that Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Kenwood, JVC, etc. all have one form of this or another in their $$$$$ models.

This JVC for example.

8. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Actually, if you look here you can see that there is only a set of two front channel speakers for the other room, so this does not really meet his needs. I don't think I have ever seen a receiver that is set up to go to two different sets of 5.1 channel speakers.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

d'oh :)
    Nice catch, I missed that part.:bigthumb: