GUN Home raid leads to complaint Police had warrant; dog shot in search

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 6, 2009.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Home raid leads to complaint
    Police had warrant; dog shot in search
    http://www.explorehoward.com/news/15341/home-raid-leads-complaint/
    By Mike Santa Rita
    [email protected]
    Posted 2/05/09
    After a Howard County police raid on his house three weeks ago, Mike Hasenei says he has a sprained wrist, a dead dog, a bullet hole in his bed and a 12-year-old daughter who is scared every time she hears a knock on the door.

Hasenei, 39, of the 6600 block of Deep Run Parkway, Elkridge, said he was sleeping shortly after 9 p.m. Jan. 15 when a police tactical team kicked in the door to his house.

He woke up and walked into his living room to find it swarming with officers, he said. When he asked what was going on, he was ordered to get on the ground, and when he asked again, he said, he was knocked to the ground and told he was under arrest.

Police then searched his house, looking for items stolen from two marked police cars that were reported broken into on Jan. 14 in the Elkridge community of Mayfield, according to Hasenei, who said he works as a computer analyst at Marriott International.

During the raid, Hasenei said, police shot his Australian cattle dog, in his bedroom.

Earlier that night, police also raided the nearby house of his stepson, Michael Leon Smith Jr., and turned up nothing, Hasenei said.

Police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn confirmed the raid on Hasenei's house, noting that police had a search warrant signed by a judge.

Llewellyn would not confirm whether the raid was related to the items stolen from police vehicles on Jan. 14, citing an ongoing investigation.

No one was arrested in the raid, she said, and no arrests have been made relating to the thefts from the police cars, which she said police are still investigating.

Llewellyn confirmed the dog shooting, but said the dog charged police, forcing them to shoot it.

Police suspected guns

Llewellyn said police had reason to believe a gun was in the residence, which was why they did not knock.

A copy of the warrant provided by Hasenei listed items to be seized, including a Sig Sauer Rifle and three ammunition magazines for the rifle, as well as a police gear bag, county police field procedures manual and guide, and more police-related items.

Llewellyn added that when police have reason to believe there might be firearms in a residence, they take precautions to ensure the safety of the officers and anyone inside the house.

"This often includes the use of the tactical team, which is specially trained to deal with potentially dangerous situations," she said.

Llewellyn confirmed Hasenei filed a complaint about the incident with the Howard County Police Department and that police are investigating.

She said no officers had been placed on any kind of administrative duty following the complaint.

She declined to comment on whether any items were seized in the raid on Hasenei's house, citing an ongoing investigation.

House damaged

At Hasenei's house last week, the door to his daughter's room was off its hinges -- a result of the police raid, he said -- and Hasenei's hand was wrapped in a bandage because, he said, it was sprained when policed cuffed his hands too tightly.

"They looked through everything," Hasenei said of the raid. "They didn't find a single thing. I knew they wouldn't because we don't commit crimes."

What appeared to be a bullet hole was visible in a mattress in his bedroom, where, Hasenei said, police shot his dog, and a bloody sheet was stored in the front deck of his home.

"They shot three times. Two hit the dog, one hit the bed," he said.

When police raided his house, Hasenei said, they produced a search warrant relating to Hasenei's stepson. But Hasenei said Smith has not lived at the address for years.

Smith, 20, also of Deep Run Parkway, said police also raided his house that night, but did not find anything. He said police also pushed him to the ground during the raid.

"I stay in my house and keep to myself," Smith said.

Smith said he does not have a driver's license.

He said his state-issued identity card, however, lists his stepfather's address as his home.

Llewellyn declined to comment on any raid on Smith's house, saying only that multiple warrants had been served that night.

Hasenei said he has contacted a lawyer and plans to file a lawsuit. His lawyer did not return a call seeking comment.

Police Chief William McMahon, through Llewellyn, declined to comment on the raid.

2. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

lalalalalalalalawsuit!!!

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

every time

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Were they afraid he was going to flush a 552 down the toilet?

5. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

[​IMG]

I only have mspaint here at work :o

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

They ALWAYS have to shoot the dog don't they?

7. kellyclan

It was comin right for us.

8. Carl Brutananadilewski

:ugh:

i realize you are probably trolling due to the :hsugh:

9. Carl Brutananadilewski

Do you partake in activities that have you expecting a police raid? Because I sure as fuck would be surprised, and someone breaking through my door/window will be treated like any other intruder until I am sure of their identity.

10. maybeitsyou

maybeitsyou New Member

he wasnt black, he didnt do anything.

11. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Don't SWAT teams wear body armor and shit?

What the fuck is a dog going to do them? Pull out an assault weapon and spray fire cop killer bullets from the hip?

12. kellyclan

Better a dead dog than a career ending injury to your arm or leg due to a bite.

Of course, this is assuming you're not a total fuckup and have the right house in the first place.

13. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

This isn't the first time police in Maryland have pulled this kind of shit. They are almost as nazi as california, and just as corrupt. I hope they sue the shit out of the state.

14. MAD PUNK inDC

No knock warrants are against the constitution and should be enforced as such. On top of that, if somebody just woke me up after they kicked in my door I'm going to fucking shoot them.

15. MAD PUNK inDC

I'll tell you what. How about I just break in your door in the middle of the night while you are sleeping, while it's dark, while you are disoriented, while I am wearing all black and probably shining a light in your face. When it's all done, could you tell if I was a cop or not. Even if they did identify themselves as cops, I have no reason to believe the police would be looking for me so I would assume they were posing as police in order to commit home invasions. Think that's an unlikely scenario? Think again, because it just happened over the river here right before christmas, and it's not even close to being the first time home invaders have posed as cops to gain access to a house. Don't be so fucking naive. The police are supposed to investigate and gain solid evidence that these are the people they are looking for, BEFORE any warrents are issued. The magistrate is just as bad for being lazy in scruintenizing the reasons for the warrent. They deserve to pay the price now. Personaly I would burn their fucking station to the gound is it happened to me.

16. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Makes me glad I have a a cat. She'd jump from cop to cop and they'd just be shooting each other.

17. Carl Brutananadilewski

Depends on your definition of swarm :dunno:

Could be 3 guys, or 13 guys. Big difference. Still, personally, no matter how many guys it is, until I'm satisfied they are who they say they are, they will be treated like any other intruder.

18. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

yah, like other's said- what's a swarm. Do I take the time to count all the people there?
    i didn't do anything illegal, why would cops be in my home? these are just a group of robbers, etc...

haha, i can totally see my cat doing that (or running, and hiding behind some furniture...)

19. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

4 dudes come into my house at night, yelling, their hit percentage better be greater than the average cop. This is just a bad idea anyway. Let's say you blow front and back door, you're going to go into an unfamiliar environment against a dude who you think is armed. In my house you'd end up crossing in front of a long hallway while a guy with more range time then you sits with an AR ready to go. It doesn't matter if you have 10 guys if they're all lined up in a hallway getting mowed down.

Just knock, and wait the dude out. Better yet, park out side his house for a few hours until he leaves and just pick him up on the way out.

20. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

Question: Has anybody been cleared of shooting a cop during a No Knock warrant like this?

You frequently hear about situations where a police officer shoots somebody mistakenly because of a split second decision and they don't go to jail (think "cop shoots kid with toy gun" etc).... and they are trained "professionals"

21. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Lawls. That is why working with the pd in the town you live in is the best.
    "Police"
    Who is it?
    "officer jones"
    Bullshit we don't have an officer jones.

22. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I'm inclined to agree with the, 'why the fuck can't they just wait for the guy to leave and then nab him?' mindset. Is it really necessary to go in, 9pm at night, tacticooled out, and guns blazing? Not to mention, it always seems like they've got to shoot the guys dog, just so they can get their rocks off by shooting something.

I hope he sues that department for everything that they're worth (which they've shown, isn't much).

Again, my heart goes out to these people that get put (wrongly) in these situations. I'm not sure how I'd react should I be put in such a situation.

23. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I think this guy in CA got cleared for shooting a cop. Someone posted the article here....IIRC.

24. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

If they bust in my house I'm shooting my dog so they don't get the satisfaction.

25. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Apparently its pretty rare.

I remember a couple from this site:

Database of Botched Paramilitary Raids:
    http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

(edit: heres one)

August 30, 1996—OK

In August 1996, Tulsa police raid the home of 68-year-old Mary Lou Coonfield on a drug warrant. Coonfield awakes to find a man in black standing in her bedroom, holding a gun. She grabs a .22-caliber pistol and fires, wounding Tulsa County Deputy Sheriff Newt Ellenbarger.

The warrant for the raid on Coonfield's home would later be thrown out, ruled in both 1996 and 1997 to be illegal. In 1999, a jury acquitted Coonfield of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and feloniously pointing a weapon, due to Oklahoma's "Make My Day" law, which states that "an occupant of a house is justified in using physical force, including deadly force, against another person who has unlawfully entered the house if the occupant reasonably believes that the other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant of the house."

Coonfield, who's both hard of hearing and has poor eyesight, says she didn't hear police announce themselves before entering, and thought she was being robbed.

Sources:

"Woman cleared in shooting of deputy," Asssociated Press, January 15, 1999.

Bill Braun, "Woman cleared in deputy shooting," Tulsa World, January 15, 1999.

Bog Doucette, "Agent testifies about drug raid," Oklahoman, January 16, 2004.