Home Pregnancy test

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by hyper, Nov 5, 2008.

1. hyper

hyper Member

I can't get an exact clear answer online, how soon can you start using them and whats a good one? I friend of mine is getting worried and she wants to try and check and getting impatient waiting for the day.

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Why not get 2 different brands to be sure? It's very rare to get a false positive, so if they both come up positive that's a good sign she's preggo.

3. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Some tests say up to 5 days before your missed period, but rule of thumb is the day after you're late. First Morning Urin too, it contains more of the HcG levels which is what HPT's need to determine pregnancy.

4. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

The hormone that most kits test for is hCG. That isn't released until the fertilized egg implants onto the uterine wall. This generally takes 6-12 days after fertilization (sex). If you take a test before the egg has implanted, the hormone won't be released yet and the prego test will be inconclusive.

In general its a good idea to wait at least 10 days until you do the test, longer is better in terms of getting an accurate reading. If you really really want to get the most sensitive test you can, go get a blood serum pregnancy test. Its more accurate than the home prego testos. But again you have to wait until the egg is implanted because it tests for the same hCG hormone as the others.

5. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Keep in mind that some Dr's offices will NOT do a blood level HcG test (quantitative or qualitative) until you've had either a positive HPT or are at least 2 weeks late for your period (some even then won't do it, depends on the Dr).

6. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

I took an ex gf to planned parenthood because she was freaking out thinking she was preggers. I can't remember exact details, but she thought she was late with her period or something. Definitely was not two weeks later. She took like 3 or 4 HPT's, all negative, still was flipping out so off we went. They did the blood test, was negative (of course). Sooo i guess its hit and miss.

Anyway, the info i gave before is accurate. :wiggle:

7. MissBangBang

MissBangBang New Member

If she was pregant she would have morning sickiness...but then again some people dont get it.

Like Memopad said..Go to plan parent hood and have them test your blood. It's a 100%.

8. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

I still stand by my statement that some Dr's offices (and yes, even some Planned Parenthood's) do not do blood tests unless you're over a certain amount late or have had a positive pregnancy test. I state this from experience. And while you have had a different experience, I've found by talking to other women, that my experience is MUCH more common. Even PP will opt for a urine test over a blood test because it's cheaper and less of a strain on their resources.

9. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

God, I was sick as a dog from week 7 all the way until I hit my 3rd Trimester :mad: It was AWFUL! I was so sick I lost a good 10lbs and then got yelled at because I wasn't gaining enough weight in my 2nd trimester. I begged them to give me something but they never did. Come to find out, there IS medication they can give you as well as a condition that sometimes can be so debilitating that some women choose to terminate the pregnancy because it's the only way to cure it. Those women, of course, were hospitalized and could barely move. I wasn't that bad, thank goodness!! And I was sick Morning, Noon and Night. I had the "all-day" sickness :hsd:

10. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

First Response in considered the best. Answer is a generic First Response so that is good as well. Digital tests need more of the hormone to detect pregnancy, so don't go for one of those,
    NO sooner that 5 days before a missed period, but really I would wait until the day of or the day before.

Tests with pink lines have less false positives, which is usually caused by what is called an evaporation line. the only reason you would get a false negative is if you tested too early.

11. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

I never had morning sickness but I knew each time before I could even take a test because the smell of cigarette smoke would make me :barf: