GUN Home owner kills cop durring no knock

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 23, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fatal shooting of officer leaves neighborhood numb
    January 19, 2008

CHESAPEAKE

Portlock residents who saw a deadly police shooting unfold on their “quiet street” are finding it difficult to return to normalcy. The man accused of killing Detective Jarrod Shivers said he had no idea the man he shot was a police officer until it was too late.

Redstart Avenue, a street that dead-ends at a church, still was reeling Friday after a police officer was fatally shot there the night before. The residents say they are in disbelief after realizing that a 28-year-old neighbor is a suspect.

“It shocked me to death,” said Mavis Cosner, who has lived on the street since 1960. “I’m still a little nervous.”

Shivers, a 34-year-old father, was shot as was trying to enter at the house in the street’s 900 block around 8:30 p.m. He and several other officers were there with a search warrant as part of a drug investigation, police said.

Shivers was pronounced dead at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. He left behind a wife and three children – ages 2, 8 and 14.

After the shooting, detectives on scene retreated for their safety. The home, which sits in the middle of the block, remained surrounded until the SWAT team arrived and entered.

Police arrested 28-year-old Ryan David Frederick, who lived at the home, and charged him with first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He is being held in the Chesapeake City Jail.

Frederick said in a jailhouse interview Friday he had no idea a police officer was on the other side of the door when he opened fire.

“No, sir,” he told WAVY-TV. “I just wish I knew who they were,” he said. “I didn’t want any trouble.”

Frederick said he was in bed when he heard someone trying to come into the home.

“I thought it was the person who had broken into my house the other day,” he said.

Frederick said his home had been burglarized two or three days earlier.

Frederick’s family could not be reached for comment, and he declined to speak to The Virginian-Pilot.

Police did not say whom they were investigating when they executed the search warrant. Other than a few misdemeanor traffic violations, Frederick has not been convicted of any felony crimes in Chesapeake, according to online court records.

Chesapeake police spokeswoman Christi Golden said she could not comment on specifics of the incident, including whether the officers who tried to serve the narcotics warrant were in uniform.

“They are undercover detectives,” Golden said. As such, they would typically be in street clothes. But, when serving warrants, even undercover officers “usually have something that says 'police,’” she said. “They are identified in some way, shape or form.”

Cosner described Frederick as “a quiet boy.”

“Goes to work every day and comes home every night,” she said.

Frederick made local news in 2005 when he sued Dr. Sidney Loxley for $1.7 million, accusing the Chesapeake physician of medicating his mother to the point that she became addicted and later died of an overdose. Frederick’s mother, a former Chesapeake Sheriff’s Department employee, died in 2003.

“It does make you very nervous,” said Sandra Brooks, a Redstart Avenue resident. “Last night I had a hard time sleeping. I just feel so sorry for the poor police officer doing his job.”

The last Chesapeake officer to die in the line of duty was Michael Saffran, 45, on Oct. 8, 2005. Saffran was shot after responding to a bank robbery.

“Our work is inherently dangerous,” said Jack Crimmins, president of the Chesapeake Coalition of Police. “I think a lot of people take our work for granted. Unfortunately, these types of events are increasing instead of decreasing. And it’s a very sad trend.”

Jack Bider, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, said all attention now turns to Shivers’ survivors.

“The FOP will pull together,” Bider said. “We’re concerned about the family, and we’re making sure they’re taken care of.”

The thought of not making it home is in the back of every officer’s mind, he said.

“Every time we wake up in the morning, with a weapon on our hip and a badge on our chest, we think about it.”

John Hopkins, (757) 222-5221, [email protected]

ETA additional stories

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. CString

CString New Member

do police do no-knocks for safety? so that criminals don't have time to arm themselves and such? is so, it seems that they fail. this isn't the first time a cop has been killed by a homeowner during a no-knock.

3. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I'm shocked to hear that this no knock was done by undercover cops and not SWAT initially. That's pretty rare these days.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

sucks to be that guy

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The old lady that was killed in Atlanta I think it was undercover dt's who did the raid on her too.
    No mention of any drugs or drug related items in the list of charges against the homeowner, wonder if they had the right address, or if they were going off bad info, if thats the case the homeowner shouldn't be charged.

6. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

He's getting charged with murder because the officers failed to identify themselves? :ugh2:

Cops ftmfl

7. CString

CString New Member

virginia ftl?

8. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

thats some bullshit, might as well just leave your door unlocked and a bottle of lube by your night stand.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/informant-told-police-frederick-was-growing-pot-garage
    Informant told police Frederick was growing pot in garage
    The police fucked up sending plainclothes in. We all are fucking up wanting the police to do raids like this over drugs. If there were drugs found prosecute him, if there weren't let him free and be prepared to be rightfully nailed to the wall in court for taking away days of this mans life with bs charges when the pd was in the wrong.

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

If they just park half dozen marked police cars in front of the house with strobe lights and siren going, I doubt these kind of mistakes would happen. You will either see the blue strobe lights through your curtains or if you're in a higher floor in an apartment the siren will catch your attention.

11. Gein

Gein New Member

:werd:

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The drugs he allegedly had were in a detached garage, I don't see the need for a no knock he couldn't flush it when he sees cops pull up outside, and it was weed not like you can flush a 4 foot plant down the toilet anyway.

13. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

nice shot man!

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The idea though is you don't want the guy to know the police are there, you want to break the door down and be on top of him asleep on the couch watching tv before he has time to flush his baggie of pot of coke down the toilet. As a society we have to ask ourselves if the payoffs are worth the risks.

As squiddy points out flushing plants is hard but I don't think its fair to expect good logic in the drug war, they want every charge they can.

15. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Plus why would they search the house? The informant said the drugs were in the detached garage, so shouldn't the search warrant have been for the garage and not the house?

16. Harddrive

Harddrive New Member

cops fucked up. end of story. hope the murder charges are dropped, but they wont be.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[​IMG]

If I saw him busting through my door I'd shoot too. I feel for him and his family, he didn't have to die but he's not the first and wont be the last casualty of the worthless war on drugs.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gotta get the scale and baggies too, thats a couple more charges they can add. :coolugh:

19. Gimik

Gimik New Member

So damn sad. All this over a fucking plant.

It doesn't say anything about recovering any drugs in either of the articles and I'm betting they wont find anything except maybe a baggie of pot. Probably someone trying to pleabargin or someone with a grudge.

Unfortunately I'm sure the law doesn't want people fighting back against cops even when they're in the wrong, so the charges will probably stick or maybe get lessened down to some other life-destroying felony.

It's all so pointless and stupid.

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah 1st degree murder charge for this is bullshit. But hey with some luck and a few hundred thousand dollars for legal defense he might be able to plead it down to some sort of manslaughter and only have to serve 8-10. :coolugh:

21. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

This is seriously fucked up. I feel terrible for the officer and his family, but I feel worse for the guy who killed him. :sad2:

22. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

If only people used a little common sense. Scary bald guy with a beard and a gun breaks down your door without identifying himself, what would you do?

23. Gimik

Gimik New Member

It's not even that he didn't identify himself - maybe he did. But if I'm asleep and I hear a bunch of screaming and my door crashes in (and I haven't done anything wrong), I'm probably not going to assume the people running in are cops unless I see uniforms.

24. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

In all these other artilces when the cops do a no knock on the wrong house and shoot the home owner and or one of their pets nothing happens to them :ugh:

25. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Yeah and usually also done when a knock and announce would lend to destruction of evidence i.e. flushing drugs.

No knocks have their place but in this instance it failed. Yeah most agencies in my area have a requirement that when serving warrants knock or not they must have some insignia identifying them as LEO.

As far as the 1st degree charge :greddy: I mean seriously...

Also I like how no recovery of drugs mentioned :mamoru: