MMA home octagon advantage for the challenger is BS

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, Aug 27, 2007.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

The ufc needs to take after other sports and give the "higher seed" (champ) the better home "court" advantage.

Silva fighting ace virtually down the street from his house is crap. Yeah I know the ufc isn't going to Brazil anytime soon, but there are definitely more neutral spots in this country to hold this fight.

And I'm all about gsp but now theyre going to do it again and give gsp his title shot in Montreal (posted on ufcjunkie earlier).

IMO the challenger should have to go into the champs house or at least a neutral site and clearly beat the champ and quiet their fans.

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Well fuck Frank Mir then :mamoru:

I really cant find enough in me to give a shit. of course it should be more neutral, especially not favoring conditions for the challenger, but they will do what hypes their moneymakers and what sells more fights.

3. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

The ufc is selling out all their fights anyway. Everytime the leave Vegas people are hyped to just get the chance to see a ufc in their state/country.

4. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

they need to start trying to find bigger arenas :x:

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

pay per views. and Rich as a champ will bring in more than anderson as a champ, hence giving him so much of an advantage (more rest, home field, etc).

and having hometown champs just creates more and more viewers in that area.
    Builds markets that way. French Canada is a booming market with huge growth potential. Hometown boy goes superstar in hometown will create shit tons of buzz.

It sounds dumb, but there is a reason they are doing it. more buzz, advantage to more profitable fighters, etc...

6. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

I definitely get it from a business perspective, but its still bullshit to try and manipulate the sport in such a manner.
    Being a great fighter isn't enough, not only do you have to battle your opponent in the cage, but you also have opposition from your own company. Just because the dude doesn't speak English and isn't American he gets extra tests thrown at him.

7. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

I'm not really sure how much home octagon advantage helps in MMA.

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I agree sir.

you dont train do you?

depending on the person and/or location it can be a huge advantage, and once in a while a huge disadvantage.

9. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

For certain people it can be a huge advantage. Yeah it can be extra pressure on you to win, but at the same time you have familiar voices cheering and rooting you on to find something in yourself that isn't normally there. That positive energy can light that fire in your heart, give you additional determination, and subconsciously help you find that killer instinct to get you to victory.

For instance when bisping got dropped by Elvis in front of his fans, I guarantee the fact that he was in front of his people is a major factor of what didn't allow him to fold. Rather he felt that he had to deliver a victory in front of his people.

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

who cares where they fight if your a true champ you can defend your title anywhere

11. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

you make a great point

:ugh:

12. RMarks

RMarks New Member

It doesn't matter if Silva fought Franklin in Rich's kitchen. Silva will still be the champ.

13. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

I'm not saying that location determines the match outright. But rather a champ has proven themself and should not have any extra battles heaped upon them.

Team sports compete for home field or a bye.
    Boxing champs usually defend their title in their own country.

As challenger the 'world' should be against you and it should be like going into the champs house and if you're better, you take what you want from them.

14. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

venue is more about making money any way. why do you think michael bisping is always on the uk cards. they are doing this one in franklins home town because thats where they can make the most money off the fight.

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

They need to come to Aus.

16. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

home court advantage is bs, more pressure. more fighters lose fighting in their home towns. FACT.