home networking issue...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

Alright, there have been some outages with our cable provider the past few days. Today I get woke up by my dad bitching that he cant get online. I look @ the modem, its connected, look at the router, 3 of 4 lights are on, which is correct because i didnt have my lappy plugged in for #4, so it sees all 3 computers that are currently hooked up.

I look at his computer name and network group, all are good. I can access the internet, the other computer can access the internet, I just had my girlfriends lappy hooked up to the cable that my lappy plugs in to and she got on the web fine, but his computer cant.

All of my computers run Windows 2000 Pro. I checked the router settings and even reset it and configured it all over again, still nothing. the DHCP routing setting is enabled @ 192.168.1.100, with 50 users. The DHCP table shows my computer, my laptop, and a blank name with a MAC address which I am assuming is my the other desktop (its not logged in to Windows).

Im stumped. This happened before and I got it working, but this time its got me. Anything I missed or need to try again?

Thanks in advance.

2. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

Did you check the IP config of his computer to see if it's getting an IP from the router? That would be where I'd start. If it's not showing his computer in the table, then it's likely not able to communicate with it. If the light on the router is on for his computer's corresponding port, and the light is in nic is on, then the physical connection is fine. Look up his ip configuration and see what it says, and if it's configured correctly, try pinging the other computers.

ipconfig /all

is the command for the command prompt if you didn't know.

Post again after you've tried that.

3. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

What kind of router do you have? I've heard of single ports going bad on some Linksys routers.

You could try switching the physical connections around to check for this :dunno:

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

power cycle everything
    try to ping computer/both in and out - if both fails, dont waste time
    reinstall NIC card, should solve it

dont bother fucking with it, just do those steps and if it dosent work, shoot it

|eb_CRX

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

actaully one more thing you can try doing is swaping slots...i've seen that fix someone's problem before, not sure why but it just did

|eb_CRX

6. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

alright, sorry i couldnt get back to you guys last earlier. cable internet was out when i got home last night and was still out this morning. im at work now ;)

ill try all that stuff when i get home at lunch. :)

7. Rwingman99

Rwingman99 New Member

if this thread is valid at all still, a simple release/renew IP might do the trick:
    get into a command prompt and type
    ipconfig /renew