Home networking help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MOGACAM921, Apr 25, 2004.

1. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

Can smebody please help me and tell me how I can use the same internet connection for two computers. Thabks this would be a big help.

2. fauxdiophile

fauxdiophile OT Supporter

you need a router. broadband connection --> router --> computers

i don't have much experience using routers, i'm sure there's plenty of information if you use google

3. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

what If I have 10/100 fast ethernet adapters in both of the computers. will that help me out at all

4. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

sure to hook up to the router. are u using a broadband connection?

5. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

I am using a dial up connection. Can I just use a cross-over cable since it will only be two computers.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you're using a dialup connection, all of the routers you see at Best Buy and CompUSA won't work. They're designed for cable/DSL subscribers. You either need to find a router with a modem built in (or one with a serial port for an external modem), or use one of your computers as a router. Win98 and higher will let you share its dialup connection. Connect your computers to eachother with a crossover cable and configure Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and you're good. The downside is that the machine with the modem has to be up and running for the other one to access the net.

7. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Yes you can just use a network cable (crossover) and tie the two computers together. You will have to assign each computer an ip address though. Just assign the main computer (the one with the inet connection) 192.168.0.1 and assign the networked computer 192.168.0.2. Then you will make sure your dial up connection is SHARED.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you are on dial-up, go out and by a cheap Hub, connect the computers to it, and set ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the machine with the modem.

CM>

9. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

Alright thanks for all of them help. I got one computer up and running on the network. But the other will not connect. And ideas what could be a matter.

10. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

You'll probably need to give more details about what exactly you did. A lot of ideas were thrown around, so any number of things could be wrong.

11. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

I used little spunkys idea. And I entered the two seperate ip adresses in both computers. Anything would be of some help.

12. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

OK, but which computer is not connecting? And when you say one computer is not connecting, do you mean it is not connecting to the Internet or not connecting to a shared drive on the other computer? What OSes are installed on each computer? Details like that = teh win.

You know, even though you should be able to do it with only a crossover cable, you really should go out and get a cheap hub. You could probably find one for around $20-$30, especially if you look online.

13. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

I can not connect on to the secondary computer. It will not allow me to access the internet. It says not able to browse network.

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Two completely different things. Go to a command prompt on the 2nd computer and ping the IP address of the 1st computer. Get a response? Now try pinging "www.offtopic.com". Get a response? Now ping www.offtopic.com's IP address (ruling out DNS issues) of 38.113.132.7.

15. Little Spunky $#!T

If you aren't able to view the files on the other computer, you will probably have to run the Network Setup Wizard and make sure each computer is set to the same "workgroup name". For instance, set each computer to WORKGROUP or MSHOME. Just as long as they are the same.

If your internet doesn't work on the networked one, make sure you have the numbers in correctly and also check your LAN settings in IE and make sure the "Automatic detect settings" box is checked, and ther eis no proxy server listed.

16. Little Spunky $#!T

Yes I agree.

After you do what I told you in the above post, do exactly this.

just go to command prompt, and type in ping 192.168.0.1 (if you are on the networked computer) If you are on the computer WITH the connection, then ping the other computer (0.2) get my drift?

And if youa re getting results there, then you are at least able to see the other computer, and connect fine. So then try and ping an internet side like daniel said. If you get no results, then something else is messed up (you might not have Internet Connection Sharing enabled)

17. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

Alright I have ran the wqizzard on both. But on my second computer When I open up my network neigobor hood it say not able to browse network.

18. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Alright, not sure if this will help or not, but do you have File and Printer Sharing and Client for Microsoft Networks installed on both computers? And are they enabled on both? On the first computer (the one with the modem), did you try pinging the other computer? If so, what happened? Did the other computer reply? Did the pings time out?

You really need to give a little more detail in your replies. Like, earlier, I asked what OS you had on each computer... In other words, are you running Windows 98, 98SE, 2000, ME, or XP? So you ran the wizard on both... Did you do everything else also? Like making sure each computer is set for the same workgroup? Don't mean to sound harsh or anything... It's just a little easier to figure out what's wrong if we know exactly what you are doing on your end.

19. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

I have windows Me on one And windows 98se on the other. Is their any way to restore to settings to stock on them? Thaks

20. MOGACAM921

MOGACAM921 New Member

I have connected My computers together using a crossover cable. I can see the computers under my network neigbor hood. But I can only see each computer under their own network neighbor hood. I have tried searching for the computer using the oppisite computer that I'm searching for. But I have had no luck. Can somebody please help me.

21. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Alright, dude, I've got the answer to your problem...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q192534

Basically, you're gonna need to get a hub. Once you do that, it should be cake...

Should be...

22. Little Spunky $#!T

I forgot to throw in one thing....

On the NETWORKED computer, go into where you enter your IP Address, and you need to type in a Primary DNS. Set this to the "main" computer's IP (192.168.0.1)

This should help.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  23. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Even though its in the QB article, I'm going to have to call BS. I have a customer with two Win98 machines linked with a crossover cable and two static IP addresses. Works fine. Besides, it doesn't make sense that the OS would care or even know if you used a crossover cable instead of a hub.

24. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I dunno, I just did a search on Google and found that article. Honestly, I don't see why a crossover cable wouldn't work either.

25. Little Spunky $#!T

No it WILL work. I use to have a dial up connection and thats exactly how I did it.

I've set up plenty of other peoples computers to the exact same way, all you need is a crossover cable and a few settings and your done.