home networking help request

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by scint, Aug 17, 2005.

1. scint

scint New Member

At the house, we have internet access through both dsl and cable. We've had dsl forever and when I started doing a lot more work out of the house, we added the cable so that my work wouldn't interfere with his gaming and surfing. All of our personal machines use the dsl while my work machine uses the cable, however, sometimes I would like to be able to access the 'personal - dsl' network from my work laptop.

And herein lies my need for help.... as my current setup is kludgy and slow. We have 2 linksys routers, each serving as a gateway for the respective connection. The 'dsl' router is also wireless which is how I currently connect to that network from my work laptop and the speed sucks. I'd like to be able to connect via ethernet as upgrading to wireless G is not an option. Each router is currently passing out ips in a distinct range (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x) and so I thought that a switch in the middle would take care of it .... it didn't. I couldn't connect from cable to dsl side or vice versa.

Can I do this with standard home networking equipment?
    thanks in advance!

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Can you use a wired connection for both cable and DSL? Just run a wire from each router to where your laptop is. I would imagine you could switch the cable depending on what connection you want to use.

3. scint

scint New Member

I'd prefer not having to switch a cable - is there a way to do that?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Not that I know of.... It would only take a minute to switch the cable and then have the router give you an IP.

I was going to tell you to keep one connection on wireless and then use the other one wired until I re-read your post saying that you didn't want wireless.

Personally, I'd ditch DSL and just use the cable. There shouldn't be any problems having more than one person using the connection.

5. scint

scint New Member

There aren't any problems - it's just that I have my music all stored over there and the speed is .... less than desirable over the wireless connection. I was hoping there was a way the two networks could be hooked together so that I could access music & files from my other machine without changing it over to cable.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Join the two routers together on the LAN side. Turn off the DHCP address on the wireless side. Make the wireless router's gateway on the same subnet as the wired's router (so wired would be like 192.168.0.1 and wireless would be 192.168.0.2). Use a static IP on your wireless connection with the gateway using the old wireless router's gateway address (192.168.0.2).

7. scint

scint New Member

Thanks for the help though am still a bit unclear. Are you saying that I should connect the 2 routers on the lan side, with a switch, disable dhcp (would disabling on both routers be preferable?), and assign them ip addrs in the same subnet? Is that right?

thank you!

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yes connect the two routers together on the LAN side, you MIGHT need a cross-over cable, you might not. Only disable DHCP on the LEAST used router (as far as the number of computers using the connection). By doing this, you will force all of the network traffic thru one router. To use the other router's connection, the computer(s) you want to use it will HAVE to have a static IP with that router's IP address as the gateway.