Home network questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheShocker, Jan 24, 2004.

1. TheShocker

TheShocker New Member

Hey guys,

Ok so I am setting up a two-computer network in my room. What I have:

- Dell Laptop, PIII 1.13 GHz, 512MB RAM, 10GB HD, WinXP (from Kazaa)
    - Gateway Desktop PI MMX 233 MHz, 32MB RAM, 20 GB HD, Win95 (file server)
    - LinkSYS 802.11B wireless router with 4-point switch

The laptop is connected via wireless, and I plan to connect the Desktop with Cat5. The desktop's only real intended purpose will be hosting my extra music and video files.

Some questions:

1) Should I/do I have to upgrade the Gateway to WinXP? Or is it possible to network them with Win95?
    2) If so, how well can the Gateway run WinXP with only 32MB RAM and 233 MHz?
    3) Someone told me to run Linux. I have no experience with Linux at all. How easy is it to learn and can I network Linux with WinXP?

Thanks in advance!!

:wavey:

2. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Well what I would do is go buy another cheap processor (with higher performance level) and like a 256mb stick of ram, then go ahead and upgrade to XP. I suggest this because I believe XP is way better for networking then 95. Plus if you were to have some questions on the 95, it wouldn't be available because they shutdown there 95/98 support I believe...

Btw, did you get the cracked XP from Kazaa? If so...don't update to SP1 because it will mess up the crack.

-Kyle

3. TheShocker

TheShocker New Member

Yeah it's cracked, it wont even let me update to SP1, so no worries. :) Thanks for the advice.

4. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

MS won't let you, or the crack has it locked? (for my own knowledge)

5. TheShocker

TheShocker New Member

I dont remember, it's been so long since I tried to upgrade. I beleive it just errored out. A buddy of mine has the crack for the cracked version to let you upgrade, though.

6. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

My uncle made a version of it. (cracked-cracked version)