Home network question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Goonigoogoo, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

I'm transferring a 5 GB file to one PC to another via wireless NIC, and the ETA is at 3 freaking hours, at this rate it would be faster to log on to MSN messenger on both PC's and transfer it via there. Am i doing something wrong? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Nope. Wireless is fast but not as fast as copper. A cross-over ethernet cable, a Firewire cable between the two PC's, a USB transfer cable (and USB2.0), or a USB/Firewire hard drive would all be faster.

3. Goonigoogoo

Thanks .....

Just ranting: so why the hell are they rated 11/54/108 MBPS in the first place, grrrrrrrr! :hsugh:

4. Goonigoogoo

I understand hitting maximum potential on any NIC wired/or not is practically impossible but this transfer rate is freakin ridiculous.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

what transfer rate is your router set to? make sure it is not set to the 1-2 Mb setting

6. Goonigoogoo

I fiddled around in the router properties and couldn't find a way to adjust the transfer rate. For some reason i forgot to disable the Firewall on the machine that was receiving the fies, so i did so after the transfer was complete. I'll be transferring another large file tonight and see if that makes a difference, thanks for the input guys.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

For the same reason they tell you the range is up to 150' indoors and 300' outdoors. Its total bullshit but it sells product.

8. Goonigoogoo

hehehehehe

Ok so i tried it with both firewalls disabled and i still get a slow transfer rate. I've been researching it a bit and no help reading other forums online although a lot of people have been experiencing the same problems.

9. samm

samm Next in Line

When I transfer large files between my powerbook and my desktop, I use a firewire cable and just boot my powerbook in target disk mode. I don't know if PCs have this feature or not. Alternatively, I can just use an ethernet cable to connect the two since they have autosensing gigabit ethernet ports. That is more of a pain tho since I have to change the network settings.

Transferring large files through my wireless router is always slow, even though it's 802.11g and I get full signal strength.

10. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

get a couple nics and a crossover cable, it'll be much faster.

11. Goonigoogoo

That's what i'll end up doing, stay wireless 99% of the time and just connect via cat5 when i have large files to transfer, thanks all!

12. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Changing MTU file size MIGHT affect things.

I know I was getting about 300k/s with one wireless and one wired, but then it increased up to about 600 while changing MTU but it never went higher.

I just plugin to transfer stuff also. Had this problem with various wireless routers

13. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Wireless, even g, isn't really very fast compared to wired. I use wireless for everything, but I keep a wired backbone (firewire in my case) between my two main boxes so I can shuffle files around. I put ethernet and firewire in all my boxes to I can run a cable or attach a drive when I need to move files to them.

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I just did a test using DU Meter. I dragged a 400+ MB iso file from my desktop to my laptop over wifi, then wired. The desktop is a P4-1.8 with 512MB running XP Pro and an Intel 10/100 interface on the motherboard. The laptop is a Sony T150 running XP Pro with Intel 10/100 Ethernet and Intel 2200BG wifi. They're connected by a Netgear G router/AP/switch. The router and the laptop are less than 3' apart.

Wifi-G: Peaked at 20 mbps initially, then settled down to about 18.5 mbps
    10/100: Peaked at 97 mbps initially, then settled down to about 80 mbps

So if you read the ads, the wifi should have been about 1/2 as fast as the wired, but in reality its less than 1/4 as fast. Of course either is fine for web surfing and checking email but moving big files is a killer. And don't forget that speed drops off as you move away from the access point.

15. Goonigoogoo

WiFi to access point is about 20 feet with 1 wall in the way, Either way i'm glad its working i just wish it could be faster. Thanks for the input guys.

16. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

WiFi rates are about 1/2 that of the rated speed. You can google around for why. I really don't recall, radio isn't my thing.

If you want more speed, you could always try some WiFi Speed Spray:

http://www.j-walk.com/other/wifispray/

17. Goonigoogoo

Is that WiFi speed spray the real deal? You would understand why i'm such a sceptic.

18. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

yup, my whole office uses it