Home Network Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skyline22GTR, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Skyline22GTR

Skyline22GTR OT Supporter

I recently set up a home network. Using Linksys WRT54G Router. I have two computers currently hooked up to it. A wired desktop and a wireless laptop. Both of these are running windows XP. I have since bought a new laptop with windows vista and a built in wireless card. The new laptop will not locate my signal being broadcast from the router. Any suggestions on why this could be? Do I need to update firmware or is this a XP Vista compatibility issue?

Please help thanks.

2. TankedOutSuicide

TankedOutSuicide These aren't the DJs were looking for...

On most laptops they have a phyiscal way to turn the actual internal integrated wireless hardware on or off. Be sure to look around the sides of the laptop for some sort of indicator that lets you know if its on or off. Try this first an let me know what you find.

3. Skyline22GTR

its on. I think it may have a bad internal card. The on off switch for the wireless lan is in the on position at the moment. Still no luck.

4. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Could just be defective. I'd take it back.

5. Skyline22GTR

I plan on it. I just wanted to make sure there isn't a known problem between xp and vista or intermixing os on the network.

6. auveeb

auveeb DATS CUTE

did you enable it in bios?

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

could be defective, you could try updating drivers
    also, you could try it at another access point/router to see if it sees the signal at all. goto an arabica/panera or something
    also, you could try on adhoc mode on your new and old laptops and attempt to link them together

if all fails, its busted

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have XP and Vista intermixing on my home network. And I am using a WRT54G to do it as well.

Off the top of my head here are some things to try:

1) try turning off ALL firewalls. Don't forget about firewalls on the new laptop. Did the laptop ship with Norton, Mcafee or Onecare? All those tools have firewalls. Also don't forget to go into your router and check that there isn't any internal router settings keeping a new device from logging onto the network.
    The nice thing about firewalls is if you turn them all off and suddenly stuff works then you pretty much know what to fix.

2) Setting up secured wireless settings on a new portable can be a total pain in the ass. Triple check the settings on the laptop vs the settings on the router.

3) try changing your wireless encryption key on the router. This IS a pain in the ass to do because it forces you to change the key on everything in your house. But it will help you rule out fat fingering the key on the laptop.

***edit
    You know, there IS a way to get a new copy of Vista on your network to copy the network settings from an old copy of Vista on your network. I wonder if you can do this between Vista and XP?

I can't walk you through this. I just know it is possible. It is supposed to be pretty easy, it transfers all wireless settings including the key.

9. Skyline22GTR

It was a defective wireless card. I actually took the laptop back to best buy and got a new one completely. Did the same thing, fail. I think they got a bad batch. 3rd one they got us worked just fine.

I also used someone else's suggestion and drove to the nearest Panera parking lot. My psp picked up the signal, but the laptop was still SOL. So I concluded that it was a faulty wireless card. Those idiots at the Geek Squad said it was the same thing.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008