home network printing v.bastardflatmates

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tribeachpunk, Dec 12, 2004.

1. tribeachpunk

tribeachpunk vBookie | TML | NHL Crew

We're running a network in our flat with one printer. The printer is connected to my PC but all of my flatmates use it as their own and thats cool as long as they use it responsibly.. which not all of them do as I said not to print excessively and not to use color... well, i'm sitting beside a growing stack of colored prints and I'm kind of pissed... more so which each page that falls out of the printer..

question: I need to be able to set priveleges for the printer... is there a prog that will easily solve my problems?? I dont want to cut them off, just disable their ability to abuse my printer..

anybody?? :x:

2. PBizme

PBizme I Got Nothing

take the color cartridge out?

3. tribeachpunk

tribeachpunk vBookie | TML | NHL Crew

Thats my only option..?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, you can restrict access pretty easily by right clicking the printer and adjusting security permission settings. However, that adjusts who can and cannot use the printer -- it does not allow you to adjust quotas, or restrict quality/color settings.

I would recommend this : Tell them they get the privilage as long as they don't abuse it. They abuse it, then they lose it. Simple as that. If they all lose the privilige, then no skin off your nose.

5. PBizme

PBizme I Got Nothing

Or make them buy the cartridge and then they can use it as much as they want.