Home Network Newb questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Ok, I have a computer I've installed win2000 on to be a firewall for the two computers in my house which access the internet.

My question is, how do I do this? I'm fairly computer savy so I just need general instructions on how this will work.

For example: do I specify ip addresses for all the computers and have the router point to the 'server' and let the server give the other two computers their IP addresses?

I know I'm asking fairly complicated stuff but if everyone who gives suggestions doesn't explain using complicated technical jargon I think I can figure a lot of it out without asking too many questions.

I'll let yall explain now.

It's a clean install of win2000 and I'll install all 4 service packs as soon as I find a network cord to hook it up to the network with. It's a gateway p3 400mhz computer w/ 1218meg ram, 16meg graphic card (voodoo I think), a 9 gig HD, all of which I picked up for free. :big grin:

I have a 4 port Speedstream wired/wireless router (model 2624 I think) that will have 3 computers total being used on it. Those computers will be: The server, the upstairs computer, and the downstairs computer which is on a wireless network connection. The computers are all going to run different OS's unfortionately. The upstairs computer will have winxp, the server, like I said earlier, will have win2000 pro, and the downstairs computer has winME.

I'll be using the server to store family pictures on and other shared files between the two computers and to act as a gateway between our computers and the internet.

Thanks in advance.

ps. first question is which computer should have the virus protection program on it? I have norton 2004 antivirus. Will I scan over a network? The reason I ask is that the downstairs computer has mccaffee on it and I'd like to take it off ASAP.

Thanks again.

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i think he has a router, so PLEASE don't recommend ics.

the setup with a router is pretty easy. the wan port connects to the dsl modem or cable modem and the other ports go to each pc. just set the network card tcpip properties on each pc to automatically obtain an ip address and you should be good to go.

if you have problems, post as much detail as possible

4. Leb_CRX

he wants to setup the main PC as a firewall, therefore it has to be ICS or someform of that...think about it, everything HAS to go through that first, which means it goes in BEFORE the router, so it goes main PC, then it goes router, then the otehr PC's...and you acn use the router as a hub anyways, so it's all good, I will post diagram of what i'm thinking

5. Leb_CRX

ok I suck at paint, and photoshop :rofl:

do this, internet -> computer with ICS -> router acting as a hub -> pc1+pc2

all of them should have a virus scanner since teh main server will have no way to scan all the packet it's sending through it...thats impossible to do as far as I know, but if your looking to have 1 computer act as a firewall, that's it....

but your router has a NAT feature which is somewhat of a firewall, but not really, it wont forward packets randomly, unless it knows which pc requested them....thats of course dosen't apply if you use shit like DMZ

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I've decided to go with Linux as the firewall.

I've already downloaded suse and it's 5.1 gigs. Can anyone tell me how to burn these onto disks?

7. Leb_CRX

are they .iso files?? if they are you'll need a program that burns images...

nero burn comes to mind, works great for me, also does bin/bue files as well