Home LAN, well... sort of

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coppertone, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Coppertone

Coppertone New Member

Ok. Have my home puter (cable modem) and then a wireless router hooked up for the laptop. Signal sucks throughout most of the house and unfortunately the office is on one side of the house and the bedroom on the other (where I use the laptop most). So, to alleviate the issue of signal strength I'm wondering if I can just extend the wiring down through the unfinished basement and back up to run 2 wireless routers? I figure I can: go from cable modem -> hub -> wireless routers. Any ideas?

2. www.techdo.com

www.techdo.com New Member

hello

You can buy a Wireless Access Point that works as REPEATER for your Wireless router.

3. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Just extend the cat5 cables (stp), forget the hub, unless you are planning on going over 100M (pretty much it's limit under optimal conditions) which i really don't think you'll need. if you're going to do that though just ditch the wireless and set up a central router with cat5 cables going right to your seperate pc's..

4. Coppertone

Coppertone New Member

I'll check into the access point. The reason I can't just extend the cat5 is because my wife has wireless on the laptop...god forbid she is attached to anything other than the power cord :rolleyes:. The basement is unfinished so I can run cat5 down there with no problem....just wanted to make sure i didn't need a router to get everything setup. Thanks for the replies :bigthumb:

5. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

You don't need a WAP though unless you are going to be running the cords for extremely long lengths. Just use the cat5 and run it wherever you need to.

6. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Working with CAT5 cables you're good for 100m or about 300 feet, anything below that you're golden. I would recommend passing the actual wires rather than going wireless if you have the means i.e. unfinished basement.